Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - time to critic me,post likes/hate,have fun
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My late night thoughts!

You know its funny that years ago so many of us built destroked high revving screamers and now when young people see and hear em they are flabbergasted that those little cubic inch engines were so fast!

Now its the 383 craze, 383s are nothing special to me any more everyone builds em! Its a simple build. Years ago 383s were difficult to build now all the bugs have been worked out by the seat of the pants racers and machinists from years ago! Planing a build with Denny (a machinist) my buddy! Us Getting a small block and a 400 crank, Man I remember assembling disassembling cutting clearances, reassembling cutting a little more, doing it again and again. Putting in rods (no one tried before) we couldn't ask anyone what worked! and seeing they hit a couple of cam lobes and grinding to get proper clearance for the cam knowing I could never put a bigger cam in it LOL because It would hit the rods Assembling and finding other problems!!! Alleviating those etc etc!!

Now 45 years later its all worked out for you young guys and you have the internet to ask us old wore out farts how much HP you have LOL Man I wish the internet was around when I was young!!

But years ago I had fun and the pats on the back at the strip when you had accomplished something that was thought imposable by many racers there! The things we engineered and shared with our pears with no recognition (just a thanks) and big companies using our Ideas to reproduce and get rich on, what you young guys buy and take for granted on the shelf of your speed parts store! You grab the part pay for it and walk out with no thought of the men that passed away who created it in an oily dirt floor auto garage LOL

I put 383s together now and its like a model airplane!!Just put the pieces together! LOL

Jester