time to critic me,post likes/hate,have fun - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Head like a Deathstar

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

V , I could not see much of your car in the video. You got something there. Take some shots. Engine , interior, exhaust routing. A pic is worth a thousand words.

You guys are probably good and carefull, but..Watch out driving around with the bottles racked. The police Will take your car. Not matter if they are cracked or not.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM

fit and finish of Vettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Vinnie:

I designed and molded my scoop to be right in the max air flow its narrow and low and dead center over the carbs, so its off center to the passenger side People really notice its not in the center of the hood!

Jester
as I block sand my car Ive found that it is far from quality re fit and finish. The seems are all over the place,the gaps are like a home made car.I dont care,I will paint it something decent but not so nice that I get worried everytime someone touches the can.

re getting more pictures and interior,yes,its all coming. so far in the cockpit all Ive done so far is change the seat covers.I also upgraded from vinyl to leather. The rest is in dire need of replacement.
Engine bay needs a little Martha Stewart work. The header pipes look cool
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

Ive never seen 2 Vetts that the gaps were the same even from one side to the other but most people dont notice (just the owners do LOL)!!!

Jester
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 AM

C-3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Ive never seen 2 Vetts that the gaps were the same even from one side to the other but most people dont notice (just the owners do LOL)!!!

Jester
I noticed the gap on your right door is straighter than mine but maybe a little wider.My right side door handle needs to be replaced as now you need a vice grip grab to open the door.I have to be a gentleman as my bitter 1/2 cant open the door from the outside.
also the power locks only move about 75% on the first click,gotta love those cars
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

My Vette was T boned and also hit in the right front and left rear! I paid $535.00 because the frame was pristine I bought no body parts I made my own skins and molded in all seams cut 3 inches out of the front fenders bringing the nose to a point and extended the nose 2 inches, I molded in the side markers and lowered the front 3 inches! Ive been working on it 5 years and still not done!! Its sprayed in white and black sealer! not ready for paint yet But I still Play with it at shows and week end dragging! The old saying "If Its fast it doesn't have to be pretty" They call them SLEEPERS!!!! and you have one

Jester
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I noticed the gap on your right door is straighter than mine but maybe a little wider.My right side door handle needs to be replaced as now you need a vice grip grab to open the door.I have to be a gentleman as my bitter 1/2 cant open the door from the outside.
also the power locks only move about 75% on the first click,gotta love those cars

Be sure to use the right type of bondo I like the stuff with the thin short fiberglass strands in it. Also dont go past the gel coat unless its cracked. then dig down deep and replace with proper glass filled bondo and a small patch of gl**** over the top. If not the same crack will be back in a few weeks.

I also noticed a lot of ppl will use heavy grit paper to sand the paint off but the body is soft and will scratch and be seen threw the paint even after finish sanding. Best to take it off slow and keep it smooth.

Do you plan to re laquer the car or use a simple enamel. The laquer process is not easy and will require a lot more paint. it is also more steps and more costly. but the vettes do look o so good when its done right. All corvettes are laquer from the factory until water based paints came along I think. I am not sure of the later years but the c3 and c4 are all laquer based paint and require a real good painter to do a factory paint job.

Most poeple and shoot single stage paints witout much issue these days. many of the paint companies sell a simple paint that is easy to use.

This is what I used when painting my vette last summer. Did it in the garage and it turned out great.

Nason Automotive Paint Finishes | DuPont Performance Coatings
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Yeah Vinnie,the system I have at home is basic 101 puter. The one at the race shop is where the money got spent.So for me to watch a video here isn't very viable. Sure would love to see pictures of your project at any stage it's in.
But I admit I'm asking you for something I haven't done myself.The Astro project I got setting in the back of my home shop I must have hundreds of pixs and a long twisted story to tell about that.The project journals on here seems to be off the beaten path and yes,I've been kind of lazy about putting something together for this site.I hope you would do a thread like in the hot rod basics section for me and well, us to follow.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Head like a Deathstar

Last photo:

I shot mine with Glassruit BC/ CC system. The 2 stage clear was phenominal in the 90's .

They have some PPG systems nowadays that you do not sand and look great.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM

prep

Quote:
2 owners before me,the guy got rid of the rubber ends and molded them in with fibre glass.also the ricer spoiler is molded in.When I first looked at the car the first thing I thought of was Corvette Summer,lol.

re sanding
I did start out using to coarse of paper and I regret it now.Im resanding and using fill primer and re sanding and re spraying,using 3 different colours. Im trying to talk a friend into painting my car,he uses PPG and is near retiring.He love/hates corvettes.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Head like a Deathstar

Last photo:

Did you quote yourself?

Thats awesome.

Can you put urathane over laquer?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 PM

quote myself,lol.mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Did you quote yourself?

Thats awesome.

Can you put urathane over laquer?
Thanks for pointing that out.I was wanting to quote Chris but I didnt read the post properly.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
2 owners before me,the guy got rid of the rubber ends and molded them in with fibre glass.also the ricer spoiler is molded in.When I first looked at the car the first thing I thought of was Corvette Summer,lol.

re sanding
I did start out using to coarse of paper and I regret it now.Im resanding and using fill primer and re sanding and re spraying,using 3 different colours. Im trying to talk a friend into painting my car,he uses PPG and is near retiring.He love/hates corvettes.
Vinnie use a good epoxy primer and an epoxy sealer!!! The same epoxy does both jobs depending on the mix and fills very easy if given time between coats! On glass this is very important and especially since there is no jell coat on the later C3 up Vettes! PPG is a great product but you get what you pay for the grades of Omni are bottom line but easy to spray, The top line and Glamor colors are very expensive! But well worth the money! I spray PPG exclusively unless a customer asks for a different brand, Usually I'll tell them to leave depending on my money situation! I also spray a lot of Lacquer. The Dodge hump back delivery in my journal is PPG Omni, The black Vette with pearl flames is PPG lacquers, the 65 impalla is PPG Glamor, The 55 delivery is bottom line Omni, Transtar epoxy is a very good product at a reasonable price!

Jester (Chris LOL)

Yes you can shoot Urethane over lacquer If prepped properly, Most bases for clear coats are hot like Lacquer!Most of your good Primers are Lacquer Like Kondar!!!

Last edited by painted jester; 02-13-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:

re sanding
Yeah they can be a real pita. Best to go slow took me a year to get my car back into paint. I was working slow of course. But every little crack in the gelcoat is cleaned and fixed stronger than before.

I have seen paint jobs on vettes go very very bad. I seen a freind remove all the gelcoat and respray the car looked smooth and flat in primer in paint it looked like it was fabric ruff like surface. Took a crap load of respray and wet sanding to get it right.

Try to avoid any pain that needs more than a buffing after its complete if diy. Wet sanding is a total pita and only done for laquer cars like vettes now a days. or show cars where deep color is most important. regular good paint jobs can be done without it if the equipment is right. I ended up with a few bad spots on mine but in all it turned out alright. also shaved the door handles while i was in there.

If you use 80 or 60 grit consider skim coating the bad areas and sanding it back off filler primer is not going to work well in that case. but usally only needs it on the hood and trunk lids other parts will cover up a little better. c4 corvettes actually have a texture on the lower doors and sills so you cant sand it smooth but you also cant see it since they are so low down on the car and kinda rolled under.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Your Vette has no jell coat, to worry about , I'm not trying to start any arguments or explain myself To any one else on here! Jell coats were not applied but be care full not to sand into raw fiber! And Im not saying you cant Jell a Vette! LOL

Jester

I'll add that I don't think any Vettes were factory jell coated, but I have Jell coated badly damaged Vettes

Last edited by painted jester; 02-13-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

The lacquer Vette. 1-5

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...07909070790907
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camp party 334.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	778.5 KB
ID:	71309   Click image for larger version

Name:	camp party 337.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	783.1 KB
ID:	71310   Click image for larger version

Name:	camp party 343.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	788.5 KB
ID:	71311   Click image for larger version

Name:	camp party 340.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	845.6 KB
ID:	71312   Click image for larger version

Name:	kims pics 013.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	800.8 KB
ID:	71313  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.