Hot Rod Forum banner

time to critic me,post likes/hate,have fun

22K views 178 replies 21 participants last post by  painted jester 
#1 ·
434 small block,5 speed,3.50 gears,,,
1 7/8 stepped headers,3 inch mandrel bent exhaust,,,ask questions,post comments both positive and negative,
just posting to show the car runs,,,thank you all,,,

#113 ·
We also bought blanks. and years ago, billet race cranks,
And :evil: >> "WELDED STROKERS"<<:thumbup:,
and the like they have been around for many decades, and it was expensive, and hard work welding and turning cranks, or grinding from a blank!!! but for the average guy in his garage this stuff was as exotic as as a pink elephant, but it gave racers that went to the trouble and expense an edge. The availability of cheap Chinese aftermarket stuff has changed over time, and exotic custom cranks and aluminum heads are no longer out of reach of the novices. It kind of leveled the playing field!! with the 400 in the 70s it made a stoker easier for a guy to stroke a 327 or 350 in his back yard garage but still hard, and now the kits make it easy for a high school kid in auto shop to throw together with a little money!!!!! LOL

Jester

#116 ·
I have a foot of snow and a few inches of Ice and below 0*frt forcast for tonight LOL :pain: but its march and the weather should break soon and then we will have fun with videos :thumbup: especially Vinnie :evil: when he gets that Vette out for a bath!!! And his wife is holding the camara LOL:mwink:

Jester

#117 ·
Even though the parts are more affordable, and require less finishing, the popularity is declining in the hobby. So many possibities are in reach for the tool proficient hobbyist. It makes no sense.

Did the segregation into groups divide and conquer?

Did the prestige fade because of jealousy?

When 3d printing becomes more common, it might ignite some new dreams.
Predicted in a old show called star trek, they had something called a replicator.
Home casting, imagine the projects.

#118 ·
It's fading because the need is fading. You can get a cool looking 400+hp hotels from the dealer with only one or two extra bolt one and a 100000 mile warren try and almost 30mpg. It moved from back yards and garages to dealer show rooms. A muscle car no longer has muscle compared to the modern cars. Older custom antique cars are a different story as they have a different look but that's for old guys, you guys just want fast and loud so you buy a 98 or newer Camaro and put on a flow master. Done.

The sbc and its contemporaries are the flat head ford of the 80s.

#119 ·
that's for old guys, you guys just want fast and loud so you buy a 98 or newer Camaro and put on a flow master. Done.

Ill take any muscle car from the 60s that ran 14s & 13s with their little 6 1/2 inch wide tires and put it along side a new Camaro with the same 6 1/2 tires mounted on it and see what happens!

Comparing performance then to now isn't fair!!! because of the tires #1 used in 1/4 mile tests and years ago, and the built in traction aids, gearing, ETC, on newer cars now and the wide meaty tires! put those on the old muscle and then run a comparison!!

1966 Corvette Car and driver mag. 1966
427ci/425hp, 4spd, 3.36 gears, 27" x 6 1/2" tires 0-60 - n/a, 1/4 mile - 12.8 @ 112mph put good tires on it and your in the 11s I can post many more with skinny tires tested back then that with good tires from today would WOW the young!

Jester

#121 ·
Finally got the clutch fixed/bled and took the Landshark out for a ride today. Drove up to Pepboys and back, then around the house a few times. Clutch is rock solid finally after 2 weeks of jerking around with it. The master cylinder has to be burped just right.. Car sounds killer when you stomp it, though the tires won't hold in 1st through 4th gears. :evil: Adaptive Learn on the fuel injection is starting to record some data and make changes from my base map. Should be a fun ride after a couple more trips out. Quick video of the Landshark today when I got back, from the rear, exhaust sounding sexy, and then from the front with the solid lifters clacking nicely. Now time to clean her up, respray the rattle can, and start working on a cage. New Koni shocks and coils will be here soon.

What a great feeling when nothing ****s the bed and the car actually drives like it should... Kept having a sinking feeling like something bad should happen soon, but she purred like a kitten all day, until I yanked on her tail.:thumbup:

#128 ·
best Saturday night Ive had in a long time.Not many people would appreciate the movie if they are younger.
We used to have a few GREAT "B" movies
remember " 2 lane backtop"?

I like the low budget Bs from back when
the editing was poor
the jokes.....?
The cars racing,,,lol...

but so true to the heart...

I had the same girl friend too...
I hope a few others watched the show or plan to?
holleywood knights

#131 ·
That was:thumbup: could you Post a close up of your pully and belt set up ? Your running a lower mounted alternator I like that set up and am interested in the run down on the combination you used or the kit and mounting hardware it looks nice and clean!!!! Not like the serpentine set or stock set ups:mwink:

Jester

#134 ·
Hey Jester yeah, Australia , I wasn't aware that downunder was referring to anywhere else...well there ya go!

We just finished our summer here and thank god for that, so sick of the heat, bring on the winter!! I guess it's a case of having had enough of either season by the end... What is ' cabin fever' think I might have heard of it before, but can't say I know exactly what it is. Is that stir crazy from being stuck in a cabin for too long?

Anyways, yeah, the gilmer belt setup on mine does look tidy and spartan, but it wasn't without a bit of screwing around. My alternator/pump/pulley arrangement was the ugliest part of the engine bay before I changed it.

I used this water pump:

Weiand Action Plus Mechanical Water Pumps 9208P - SummitRacing.com

This alternator:

Summit Racing® Alternators SUM-811001 - SummitRacing.com

This alternator bracket:

Summit Racing® Billet Aluminum Alternator Brackets SME-2005 - SummitRacing.com

And this gilmer drive kit:

Gilmer Belt Drive Small Block Chev Short Nose Aus Made | eBay

I expected (I should have know better) to just bolt everything on and it all work!.. Ha ha.. I had to modify almost every part. To start with the Weiand water pump back cover fouled on the timing cover and I had to make up some spacers , see pic.

I had to space the alternator and bracket out of the block to get alignment with the pump pulley, see pic.

Buy a spacer to bring the bottom pulley out, see pic.
(Which was advertised as 5/16" thick , came as 1/2" thick, then had to machine the spigot to fit into the pulley hole)

Then had to shorten the adjuster to allow a tighter swing because the alternator was fouling on the chassis, and but a shorter , c pic.

I possibly could have gotten away without the alternator and crank pulley spacers by pressing the water pump boss onto the shaft a bit more, but the instructions stated that this should not be done for fear of causing the pump to leak, yada yada... so I left that alone.

The alt bracket from summit is a good one, fairly rigid. Rigidity seems to be the key important feature when it comes to alt brackets. Mine belt lines up perfectly as it is set up, which is 'scary loose' when cold, and not over tight by any means when hot. It does slap and squeak some when idling and in general, but if I attempt to make it any tighter, to get that blower belt whine, it'll start to pull the alt out of square.

Hope that info is when your after, let's know if you need anything else..

Duke

Attachments

#139 · (Edited)
I was in your area in the 60s I almost stayed there LOL Yes cabin fever is a long time inside because of the cold winter!!!!:drunk::pain: Yours is coming soon:thumbup:

Thanks for the pics & info I really appreciate it I built an old school 302 for my wife no bolt holes in the heads and I saw your set up I think I'll set it up like you did:thumbup: Ive run a lot of superchargers so the belt and pulleys should come natural and Ive mounted alternators bellow before!

Down under LOL New Guinea, New Zealand, Tasmania, Fiji Etc When I was there I was in all of em and had a Navy "Down under map" That's what the map was called LOL How cool is that!!!!:thumbup: I'm going to google it and see>>>> Yep <<<<< its a map of the down under!!:evil:

Thanks Again Duke:thumbup:

Jester

Just looked it up:
Wow that Gilmer Belt Drive for Small Block Chevy Is really reasonably Priced, I wonder if its available here? Probably not but I'll check? It says the kits made in Australia. :thumbup:

Just checked and its only shipped:(:mad::pain: in Australia LOL Wouldn't you know it thats my luck!!! LOL Jegs has it here for almost 5 times as much:(

#141 ·
No problem at all. I was going to suggest that I could ship one over to you from here, but man, that's cheap. I'd be all over that! Hope the quality stacks up. Im sure a man of your capabilities would have no problem fitting that. I'm going to save that website, let's know what the service and quality is like !

Our winter here, at least where I am on the coast, don't go much below 5 C/40 F overnight. Different story inland - up in the mountains.

Map of 'the downunder' yeah, that's a riot! I treid to google it and found this one! LOL

Duke

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.