time to critic me,post likes/hate,have fun - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Jester this is mint!

Speechless.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM

Im really really enjoying everyone sharing their projects
great posts and videos.This is a fine community and the projects are second to no one.Looks like we really enjoy our stuff even though a lot of the posts are dealing with small problems
Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Jester this is mint!

Speechless.

Tell my wife that I see you looked in my journal LOL

Jester
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Hey thanks! Can u do the same with my first one?
Its just "beater wagon burnout" without the 2....its much more violent and Smokey....and I almost put it in the weeds at the end! So fun....that's what pulling the car off the lawn to park it "right" after sitting in the pool drinking beverages amounts to....specially when the wife says "hey I have a cam corder on my new phone" dumbest things always start with "hey, watch this"
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM

Chris,your sense of humour probably got you in trouble throughout the years?
Dave,the wagon doing a burnout is just so wrong,in all the right ways
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 PM

Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
Holy Cow!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

My late night thoughts!

You know its funny that years ago so many of us built destroked high revving screamers and now when young people see and hear em they are flabbergasted that those little cubic inch engines were so fast!

Now its the 383 craze, 383s are nothing special to me any more everyone builds em! Its a simple build. Years ago 383s were difficult to build now all the bugs have been worked out by the seat of the pants racers and machinists from years ago! Planing a build with Denny (a machinist) my buddy! Us Getting a small block and a 400 crank, Man I remember assembling disassembling cutting clearances, reassembling cutting a little more, doing it again and again. Putting in rods (no one tried before) we couldn't ask anyone what worked! and seeing they hit a couple of cam lobes and grinding to get proper clearance for the cam knowing I could never put a bigger cam in it LOL because It would hit the rods Assembling and finding other problems!!! Alleviating those etc etc!!

Now 45 years later its all worked out for you young guys and you have the internet to ask us old wore out farts how much HP you have LOL Man I wish the internet was around when I was young!!

But years ago I had fun and the pats on the back at the strip when you had accomplished something that was thought imposable by many racers there! The things we engineered and shared with our pears with no recognition (just a thanks) and big companies using our Ideas to reproduce and get rich on, what you young guys buy and take for granted on the shelf of your speed parts store! You grab the part pay for it and walk out with no thought of the men that passed away who created it in an oily dirt floor auto garage LOL

I put 383s together now and its like a model airplane!!Just put the pieces together! LOL

Jester
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Chris,you probably built more 383s than Ive seen. I too like the old modified production and altered engines.The screaming 10ks is what hooked me into the automotive sport. I can see how bracket racing ruined that part of the sport

Then when brackets got popular,tracks started abusing bracket racers,with very low pay outs and 2 practice passes,,,,cars still need suspension tuning
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Old & Furious

Now you can have even more fun cause a few good parts and the 383 turns 9K or 10K with a lot of extra cash. Now the funny part is you can make so much power down low you dont need to spin them as fast. But if you do there is still glory to be had.

Small base circle cams were the norm back in the day when all cams started as a factory cam and was reground to give more duration and lift. Make them smaller and they fit with the 383. The bigger the lift the smaller the base circle was cause they all started with the same cam it could only get smaller. So a bigger cam may have actually fit better. If you get my logic.

I do feel a little jealous of the motorcycle guys now adays. man we had nothing for parts. Now they have bolt on turbo kits. When i was building KZ 900 motors it was all factory parts and mad grider and welding work. Still made the same power in the end but wow its so easy now adays. You can buy a busa and mr turbo kit and have a 300 hp motorcycle in a few hours work. Never have the 8's been so close to the production bikes or cars.

I got to say you know it will all come to and end some day. we are probably in our hay day of mad power upgrades. one day it will be impossible to make changes to your car or drive beyond the limits. Im sure its only a matter of time before our cars will read the speed limit signs and just not go any faster no matter how far down the peddle is pushed.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Your 40 a youngster back in what day LOL

Jester LOL
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM

hcompton
thanks for the post.Even I can say you are young,lol.
I wonder how they get an accurate 60 foot time on that Nova?Chris,its almost time for you to retire?
BTW,anyone heard from Richard? The forum is not the same without him.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
My late night thoughts!

You know its funny that years ago so many of us built destroked high revving screamers and now when young people see and hear em they are flabbergasted that those little cubic inch engines were so fast!

Now its the 383 craze, 383s are nothing special to me any more everyone builds em! Its a simple build. Years ago 383s were difficult to build now all the bugs have been worked out by the seat of the pants racers and machinists from years ago! Planing a build with Denny (a machinist) my buddy! Us Getting a small block and a 400 crank, Man I remember assembling disassembling cutting clearances, reassembling cutting a little more, doing it again and again. Putting in rods (no one tried before) we couldn't ask anyone what worked! and seeing they hit a couple of cam lobes and grinding to get proper clearance for the cam knowing I could never put a bigger cam in it LOL because It would hit the rods Assembling and finding other problems!!! Alleviating those etc etc!!

Now 45 years later its all worked out for you young guys and you have the internet to ask us old wore out farts how much HP you have LOL Man I wish the internet was around when I was young!!

But years ago I had fun and the pats on the back at the strip when you had accomplished something that was thought imposable by many racers there! The things we engineered and shared with our pears with no recognition (just a thanks) and big companies using our Ideas to reproduce and get rich on, what you young guys buy and take for granted on the shelf of your speed parts store! You grab the part pay for it and walk out with no thought of the men that passed away who created it in an oily dirt floor auto garage LOL

I put 383s together now and its like a model airplane!!Just put the pieces together! LOL

Jester

OK,ok,Jester.Your 6 months older than me.I'll give ya that one.LOL. I too feel I contributed to the design and application of the parts of today.
I do feel I wouldn't exchange my lifetime for anything.And yes I have my days that I envy guys around me that know nothing about cars that followed their college careens that drive around in their BMW's where after I graduated I ignored my degree.

But in hind sight,I have to say I've been very,very,lucky in my life.The things we thought nothing about in M/P and now looking back at the risks,we where lucky not to have eaten it.

Today we take a aftermarket BBC either in our case a 565 or 632 and buzz it to the moon expecting to do that round after round.

I think what has undermined hot rodding is ideas of a budget,no plan to create a income from hot rodding,(a business),the import parts that has done a fair job of convincing guys those parts are the same as quality parts when they are not,and guys instead of thinking things through are always looking for short cuts like in issues like tuning.Thank god for the island of salvation of guys like you,Vinnie,CD,well I can't name them all that try to leave a legacy behind of right and wrong.

I'll tell you guys this.When I turned 65 and got sick(yeah again damm it)it is a game changer.Not like before where you feel your infallible with endless tomorrows.I came to realize how each minute of everyday was so,so,important.And how I spend that time I will never get back.So either it is so important to me to spend that time or it is sometime I really enjoy.Other than that...screw it.

We have built from 434's to 383's to stuff into race cars for many.many,yrs and built street rod engines as well.We went threw a time period building Jr Dragster engines capturing in 5 yrs 5 track championships and built at that time a number of the same engines for customers.I think we can check that off the bucket list as being a success.Currently we are making aftermarket BBC's book.

Yep I look back to see the next generation now pick up the baton and run with it.It should be no surprise that will involve major electronics.For me,I'll be in the cheap seats cheering those guys on....................: thumbup:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1Gary For This Useful Post:
painted jester (02-28-2013), vinniekq2 (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Old & Furious

True but when i was doing bikes it was the same for all cams. they all start as factory cams. Even today cams for a busa are almost all regrinds until you get to the prostock stuff and they use different engines.

Only a few engines in the world have aftermarket cams avilable. Even something as popular as a honda civic has very little cam choice and 99 percent of them are regrinds. To name a few bmw m5 m3 merc amg and many others if you want cams they are going to be smaller than stock. And the valves will need to be setup correctly. Usally just thicker shims or longer vavles.

Just the way its been done since day one. I have even seen them ground at very small shops with no eqipment its a myth that cams can only be one grind. Taking a few thou off the back side give you a much more agressive cam and can be done with simple equipment. Not that I would do this, cause of todays demands but its not uncommon. I know someone right now that has regrind cams in there bike they did in there own garage. Yep its perfect by the way. Amazing work only took 6 oem cams to get one right. LOL

Doing a stock 383 I was always told to use pink rods that have been cleaned smoothed and shot peened to allow for more clearence around the cam. Glad to hear your old but didnt the 400 come out in the 70's and didnt hit the market for years after that since they were never in a real fast car. I think if you had a 400 you didnt want a 383 they only became usable when the cranks got cheap and became drop in replacements. I dont remeber any 383 builds before 1980 or even the late 80's or 90's. If you had a 400 crank a 400 block was the way to go. Now its just cheaper to use a 350 block with the stroker aftermarket cranks.

383 with all factory parts uses a short rod and a long crank with the stock height 350 piston. It is a very bad design and does not last or run that well. At 6K rpm they are grenades. Remember us young guys had a lot of advantage over you old folks we got to learn from your mistakes. <= just for the young guy comments LOL
Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 AM

hcompton
Old & Furious

A few of the older guys might remember that the first 383 was made in the 60s

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.