Hot Rod Forum banner

time to critic me,post likes/hate,have fun

22K views 178 replies 21 participants last post by  painted jester 
#1 ·
434 small block,5 speed,3.50 gears,,,
1 7/8 stepped headers,3 inch mandrel bent exhaust,,,ask questions,post comments both positive and negative,
just posting to show the car runs,,,thank you all,,,

#80 · (Edited)

Attachments

#81 · (Edited)
I found this :smash::smash: Still looking:drunk:

He built & raced Mopars too!

1964 Hemi Dodge "The Dodge Boys" - Owned by Dave Strickler, wrenched by Bill Jenkins. Ran in A/FX - A/Factory Experimental.
1965 Hemi Plymouth "The Black Arrow" - Owned by Doc Burgess, wrenched by Bill Jenkins. Ran in FX - Factory Experimental and S/S - Super Stock.

Jester

#82 ·
I only saw 1 race of the 3 from that day at Boundary Bay airport.That was the second race that they posted.I remember it was several hours between match races.
There are other vids from BB airport. The green elephant,,,,
That track was only open a few years.
Its still an airport.Ive landed my cessna there a few times (sadly I sold it)Its an airport for misfit controllers,lol.
Its also very close to YVR. I used to fly out of YPK (pitt Meadows)
It was nice having access to airport fuel for my car and ironically I used pump gas in my airplane

#91 ·
Hey thanks! Can u do the same with my first one?
Its just "beater wagon burnout" without the 2....its much more violent and Smokey....and I almost put it in the weeds at the end! So fun....that's what pulling the car off the lawn to park it "right" after sitting in the pool drinking beverages amounts to....specially when the wife says "hey I have a cam corder on my new phone" dumbest things always start with "hey, watch this"

#95 ·
My late night thoughts:embarrass!

You know its funny that years ago so many of us built destroked high revving screamers and now when young people see and hear em they are flabbergasted that those little cubic inch engines were so fast!

Now its the 383 craze, 383s are nothing special to me any more everyone builds em! Its a simple build. Years ago 383s were difficult to build now all the bugs have been worked out by the seat of the pants racers and machinists from years ago! Planing a build with Denny (a machinist) my buddy! Us Getting a small block and a 400 crank, Man I remember assembling disassembling cutting clearances, reassembling cutting a little more, doing it again and again. Putting in rods (no one tried before) we couldn't ask anyone what worked! and seeing they hit a couple of cam lobes and grinding to get proper clearance for the cam knowing I could never put a bigger cam in it LOL because It would hit the rods:pain: Assembling and finding other problems!!! Alleviating those:sweat: etc etc!!

Now 45 years later its all worked out for you young guys and you have the internet to ask us old wore out farts how much HP you have LOL :D Man I wish the internet was around when I was young!!:evil:

But years ago I had fun and the pats on the back at the strip when you had accomplished something that was thought imposable by many racers there! The things we engineered and shared with our pears with no recognition (just a thanks) and big companies using our Ideas to reproduce and get rich on, what you young guys buy and take for granted on the shelf of your speed parts store! You grab the part pay for it and walk out with no thought of the men that passed away who created it in an oily dirt floor auto garage LOL:D

I put 383s together now and its like a model airplane!!Just put the pieces together! LOL:D:mwink:

Jester:thumbup:

#99 ·
OK,ok,Jester.Your 6 months older than me.I'll give ya that one.LOL. I too feel I contributed to the design and application of the parts of today.
I do feel I wouldn't exchange my lifetime for anything.And yes I have my days that I envy guys around me that know nothing about cars that followed their college careens that drive around in their BMW's where after I graduated I ignored my degree.

But in hind sight,I have to say I've been very,very,lucky in my life.The things we thought nothing about in M/P and now looking back at the risks,we where lucky not to have eaten it.:eek:

Today we take a aftermarket BBC either in our case a 565 or 632 and buzz it to the moon expecting to do that round after round.

I think what has undermined hot rodding is ideas of a budget,no plan to create a income from hot rodding,(a business),the import parts that has done a fair job of convincing guys those parts are the same as quality parts when they are not,and guys instead of thinking things through are always looking for short cuts like in issues like tuning.Thank god for the island of salvation of guys like you,Vinnie,CD,well I can't name them all that try to leave a legacy behind of right and wrong.

I'll tell you guys this.When I turned 65 and got sick(yeah again damm it)it is a game changer.Not like before where you feel your infallible with endless tomorrows.I came to realize how each minute of everyday was so,so,important.And how I spend that time I will never get back.So either it is so important to me to spend that time or it is sometime I really enjoy.Other than that...screw it.

We have built from 434's to 383's to stuff into race cars for many.many,yrs and built street rod engines as well.We went threw a time period building Jr Dragster engines capturing in 5 yrs 5 track championships and built at that time a number of the same engines for customers.I think we can check that off the bucket list as being a success.Currently we are making aftermarket BBC's book.

Yep I look back to see the next generation now pick up the baton and run with it.It should be no surprise that will involve major electronics.For me,I'll be in the cheap seats cheering those guys on....................:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#96 ·
Chris,you probably built more 383s than Ive seen. I too like the old modified production and altered engines.The screaming 10ks is what hooked me into the automotive sport. I can see how bracket racing ruined that part of the sport

Then when brackets got popular,tracks started abusing bracket racers,with very low pay outs and 2 practice passes,,,,cars still need suspension tuning

#102 ·
I built one in '78 using an LT1 block, 350 pink rods , 400 crank, 350 pistons. Had to clearance the block from the crank, the rod bolts from the cam and take .125" off the top of the pistons to get em down to deck height.
We used to call it a three and three quarter motor. I pulled mine to 7000rpm in top gear one night down the highway, hitting 140mph (yeh, young - no fear!!)..
Pulled into the driveway at home and dropped a valve, AT IDLE! (1500rpm), luckily, -goddamn two piece valves- 'twas a blast while it lasted..

Duke

Attachments

#101 ·
1963 corvette,5 were made with a 377
"Duntov's objective with the Grand Sport was to make it ultra lightweight. In the end, they weighed in at about 1,900 lbs. or about 1,350 lbs. lighter than a stock Corvette coupe. They had a 377 cubic inch aluminum V-8 engine putting out 550 horsepower. They ran with a 4-speed transmission and 4-wheel independent suspension. "

This post has been deleted
#104 ·
there were aluminum blocks and heads. These items were available,sort of,through GM and the prices would have to be cut in 1/2 just to be rediculous. The 377 continued after the 63 vettes were retired.There was a lot of politics and rule bending back then.Lots of things were never said or shown.
When I was 20 I was almost brought to tears when my Gf of the time was telling me about the discontinued parts GM was destroying in the warehouse. 4 LS-7s were run through a shredder. I got her to rescue a lot of things that fit in her purse.I managed a few SS emblems from first gen camaros ,2.02 valves,z-28 off road valve springs,etc

#105 ·
The first 377s had aluminum heads and cast block single carb , later version went to aluminum block and cross ram with side draft webbers!

We tried to duplicate the build when we were young but they never came out to 377 they were always off by a bit 4 or 5 cu inch + or - LOL sleeve and bore thin walls, welded & turned cranks and custom pistons by Jahns We didn't have specs GM kept those hid LOL but we still gave it a try with many failures a few men around the country made them work! Money can work wonders! No photos, no movie on u tube no google page, no names in the history books, just little guys in a garage somewhere that have been long forgotten!!! Trying to copy a build they heard of! Everything is not on the internet like the stroked 327 60s 377 build that worked out to 383 when deck, gaskets, CC etc were configured!! I built probably 15(?) 350 stroked 383s over the years no kit builds, and not one came out to 383 they were 385, 381, my last was 387!!!

Quote!
"Numerous types of cylinder heads were on the drawing board for the Grand Sport (cast iron heads, aluminum heads, hemi/dual plug heads, etc). It is believed that three types of heads were actually used on the cars - cast iron heads & 2 versions of aluminum heads (standard exhaust bolt pattern & angled pattern)."

Jester

#106 ·
One no on ever saw and I barely got a glimpse of was a all aluminum 454. It came in late in my shift with prints off a truck to have me run it in the dyno rm and I was supposed to set it up the next day. They took it crate and all and put it in the dyno rm and locked it up stationing a guard at the door. We came in the next day with the door still locked and it was gone!!. The guards swore no one ever got in or out of the dyno rm.Just vanished.Never did find the damm thing...........Then the parade of executives came through.Man they where red faced ticked.

#107 ·
both you guys obviously know a lot more than me. I saw a few oddities but nothing that rare. The only rare things(to me) that were way out there were a few mopar items I got a glimpse of.mostly slant six hi out put items,a head a 4 bbl intake with factory numbers.I was young and had no clue what it was. nothing special... couple L-88s and one L-89,cant prove it but I believe the owner.

#110 ·
Tell ya what Vinnie.You would have been in 7th heaven to work at LPE when John was alive.He did alot of the R&D for GM building the Calaway Vett engines and alike.Real cutting edge stuff.We met up with him when he rented a super Wally world size supermarket size building next to his shop to auction off 30yrs of speed parts he acquired testing for GM.It was packed to the ceiling with one price bought a whole pallet. Man did we clean up on those deals.He was as sharp as a pin.He spent time with us because we where one of the top buyers.

I get the feeling it isn't the same as when he was around.Now seems to be just prepackaged stuff and not so much pushing the envelope.

But still to work at a place like that for a young guy like you would be pretty cool.:cool::cool::cool:

#111 ·
I have only a couple experiences with the greats,mostly indirect.
John had a huge influence on the cobalt engine design.

Many years ago (70s) a super stock racer here was running 1/10 over the index.He talked to John and John guaranteed Buck that the car would go under the index with his engine. John sold him an engine,not cheap!! Buck was already in business selling engines so he tried to keep it quiet he was "buying" someone elses engine.
The car did not perforn as John said it would.Big fight! John looked at Bucks car and said his car(Bucks) was set up wrong for Johns engine and Buck had the wrong "brand" of tire.
Long storey short,Buck set up the car and changed the tires,,,He wanted to advance the cam and John said dont you dare touch my engine,,car ran 2/10s under the index

first thing Buck did was pull the engine and take it apart to see what and why.
I dont think Johns brother has the knowledge to make LPE cutting edge now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.