Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Time for a distibutor upgrade!
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyj17 View Post
Thanks for the link, But If I'm gonna spend $280, Would it be better to get something like this?

JEGS Performance Products 40005K2 JEGS Chevy HEI Street Spark Distributor

It comes with the street fire ignition box.. But then again I'm not sure If I have room for the box.

I checked into mallory as well as the cheaper ones, Kind of a toss up at this point. I just want to get the best bang for my buck.
A stock used HEI- as long as the bushings are tight- can be the basis for a good reliable distributor.

Almost all distributors that use weights and springs for the mechanical advance will need work to get the advance curve dialed in. The MSD distributor can be made to give 18 degrees of mechanical at the most, using the bushings they give you in the box. But depending on the cam, you may need more than this. There are aftermarket bushings that are uber expensive (for the tiny bit of metal they're made of) that'll give you more initial/less mechanical, but this adds to the cost.

A stock HEI also needs to be similarly modified but there are no bushings to replace, it takes a different approach. More on that and other HEI info can be seen here.

There are GMPP Delco HEI distributors but I have no idea where, or how well they're made. Assuming they're as good as the stockers were, that could be a place to start. Same thing w/modifying the mechanical advance, though.

Skip White 65,000 Volt Distributor Revealed - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards is a thread about the TSP distributor from someone who owns one and isn't just bashing offshore parts or repeating what they've read somewhere w/o having actually used them. BTW- I'm NOT saying offshore is the way to go. I am saying it is ONE way to go. Anyone who is anti-anything-but-made-in-the-USA can have that opinion, no problem from me. BUT, ain't nobody gonna tell me how to spend MY money, either.