Time for exhaust change - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 09:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Time for exhaust change

Hey guys

Right now Im running a pair of shorty headers on my 87 caprice. It is connected to the rest of the exhaust by a couple pieces of stainless flex pipe and a flowmaster y-collector then continues as a single exhaust. I hate using flex pipe. It works OK but it just doesn't seem right to me. The flex pipe going from the drivers side header to the passenger side of the car hangs a bit low because the header comes down low. I took it to a couple of shops around to see if they would bend me some real pipes but they wouldn't tackle it because the bends would be too tight. So I've been running it this way for the past two years. There are little leaks where ever the flex pipes connect, and they're just getting way too annoying. Since then we have gotten a couple of actual exhaust shops nearby. So I was thinking about taking it to one of these shops. A few of my friends have gotten exhaust work done there and they have come out pretty nice. The problem is that they are a bit pricey. I figure it would probably cost me at least three hundred bucks to get my pipes bent, if they will even do it.

So lately i have been thinking about just starting over from scratch. I figure I could put on a set of full length headers and just run dual exhaust. It seems like it wouldn't cost me too much more to do this. I can probably get a set of headers off one of my friends for free, if not then just buy a cheap set. I will have to buy another cat. In Jegs they have their brand of dual exhaust kits that cost under 200 bucks. They don't make a kit made for the caprice. So I figure there is probably a kit they make that I could make work? My question is which one would be the closest fit. Also will full length header fit on my caprice? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for the help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

"if not then just buy a cheap set."

Bad ju-ju bwana. If you think you're tired of hearing flex pipe leaking, just wait 'til you bolt up a cheap pair of headers.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:40 AM

Time for exhaust change

I have a pair of Hedman Hedders on my Camaro and one feature I really like about them is that the exit end of the header has a curved edge. That allows you to adjust the collector up so the rest of the exhaust tucks into the undercarraige. You can't do that with a flat flange.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

Will full length headers fit under my caprice? Will they hit my shifter linkage or anything like that
Old 08-01-2007, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

They can't make an exhaust pipe bend tighter than flex-pipe???
Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Violating consensual reality

Last journal entry: '64 hood
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutsupreme
Will full length headers fit under my caprice? Will they hit my shifter linkage or anything like that
I'd call the header manufacturer's tech line. If they carry the headers for your car then they should be able to give you an answer.
As for a decent exhaust system, $300 is the starting point. Call around for a seasoned shop. Look for someone who's been doing it for years, not some kid who installs fart cans on Hondas.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Has anyone ever tried using any of those Jegs dual exhaust kits?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:16 AM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:

Quote:
Has anyone ever tried using any of those Jegs dual exhaust kits?

ya i bought the 2 1/2" kit with mufflers for my 70 elky the kit was built for 13" over all length mufflers off set in/out. the only thing was that the tail pipes didnt work at all the hung way low to the ground and hit the shock mounts. so i had to go the the local exhaust shop and get a set put on for 80 bucks.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
The shifter linkage shouldnt be a problem, however, if you are planning on running a "two sided" dual exhaust, you will need to notch your trans mount, as the drivers side exhaust pipe will hit it.. There are headers for your car, saw some Dynomax full lengths for $140 at my local speed shop..
Old 08-02-2007, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

if you don't buy street tuned headers (ex:tri-Y) and/or headers tube lengths correct for your motor build.....in your relatively heavy Caprice there is a pretty fair chance it will run like a dog low end...lots of gas pedal to accelerate

keep your shorty's (good compromise for low end torque and high rpm's breathing) and pay to get the pipes made

agree with tech inspector....there are no "cheap headers"...there are only "cheap pain in the arse headers"
Old 08-02-2007, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hey guys

Right now Im running a pair of shorty headers on my 87 caprice. It is connected to the rest of the exhaust by a couple pieces of stainless flex pipe and a flowmaster y-collector then continues as a single exhaust. I hate using flex pipe. It works OK but it just doesn't seem right to me. The flex pipe going from the drivers side header to the passenger side of the car hangs a bit low because the header comes down low. I took it to a couple of shops around to see if they would bend me some real pipes but they wouldn't tackle it because the bends would be too tight. So I've been running it this way for the past two years. There are little leaks where ever the flex pipes connect, and they're just getting way too annoying. Since then we have gotten a couple of actual exhaust shops nearby. So I was thinking about taking it to one of these shops. A few of my friends have gotten exhaust work done there and they have come out pretty nice. The problem is that they are a bit pricey. I figure it would probably cost me at least three hundred bucks to get my pipes bent, if they will even do it.

So lately i have been thinking about just starting over from scratch. I figure I could put on a set of full length headers and just run dual exhaust. It seems like it wouldn't cost me too much more to do this. I can probably get a set of headers off one of my friends for free, if not then just buy a cheap set. I will have to buy another cat. In Jegs they have their brand of dual exhaust kits that cost under 200 bucks. They don't make a kit made for the caprice. So I figure there is probably a kit they make that I could make work? My question is which one would be the closest fit. Also will full length header fit on my caprice? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for the help
Custom exhaust is always pretty expensive. I guess I have a problem with a shop that says the bends are too sharp for them to make. Usually shorty headers come well short of where a bend needs to be to wrap back under the vehicle. Although angles can be a headache like an S-10 SBC with Sanderson shorties on the passenger side requires a 60 degree bend, not something you find at JC Whitney.

You will have problems with the left side of the transmission cross member as it needs a raised section on that side for pipe clearance, otherwise the pipe gets pretty close to the street. G-Force makes a B body crossmember for this application they are about 260 dollars. If you have a welder, you can modify the one you've got.

Long tube or Tri-Y's would be a better choice than shorties as they emphisize low and mid range. Shorties can be made to work harder in this area by placement of the H pipe. If you come off the collector flange with a head pipe the same diameter, drop it down under the floor. From the mid cylinder exhaust ports measure a distance of 36 to 46 inches and put the H pipe in this range. This will make the shorties work more like an individual runner or Tri-Y. Not as good, but better.

I'd say for a custom set of duals expect to pay around a 1000 dollars for parts and labor.

Bogie
Old 08-02-2007, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the help guys

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...51868_-1_10253

Would any of these kits come close to working for me besides for maybe the tailpipes?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

I didn't see any Caprice's listed on the last jegs link.....so the answer is NO they won't fit

if the motor is basically stock....keep the single exhaust
Old 08-02-2007, 12:54 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

You get what you pay for. A good set of headers from a reputable company will fit with minimal problems, usually.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...51868_-1_10253

Would any of these kits come close to working for me besides for maybe the tailpipes?
the kit worked out perfectly aside from the tailpipes. dummy me bought the kit with the mufflers when i didnt want the mufflers that came with it i bought 40s. it bolted right up to my hooker comps with out the need for a reducer because the pipping kit came with tubes that where reducers.

well just because it doesnt say there is a kit for your car doesnt mean one wont fit. for example my el camino also takes malibu chevelle and some cutless parts.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.