Hot Rod Forum banner

Time frame to clear coat

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
I'm in the middle of painting my 67 Barracuda with Dupont Nason Base/Clear
Recently someone mentioned I should have shot the clear soon after the base? How important is this? I shot the last part of the base several days ago?

#3 ·
Go here and read the "P" Sheet for the paint you're using. (Click on products, then Nason and you will see the product data sheets for all Nason products.) It will tell you how long you have to shoot the clear. It will also give you mixing instructions, spray pressures, drying time etc, etc.

#4 ·
I have already got the sheet on the paint, one of the first things I did when this came up. All it says is... "Allow base coat to setup for 15 minutes prior to clear coating. Longer dry time may be required depending on shop conditions and the number of coats applied." No where does it say "...but no longer than..." or something to that effect.

I do have some base left if needed but it'll be very close on even getting a lite once over.

Thanks

Alan

#5 ·
Any base paint has a "window" to recoat over and it's usually 24 hrs.
After that,it's BEST to resand and lay another coat.
Nason is a sloooooooooow drying base and an hour or two is best before clear after the last coat (hour between coat's for that matter).
You did not read this here or from me but, You can use some DuPont Adhesion promoter and shoot the clear after it flash's properly if you don't want to resand or have enough base left. I have done this several times and DON'T recomend this if it's a first rate car,but, in a "driver" situation, have done this with good results.

#6 ·
MrMopar said:
I have already got the sheet on the paint, one of the first things I did when this came up. All it says is... "Allow base coat to setup for 15 minutes prior to clear coating. Longer dry time may be required depending on shop conditions and the number of coats applied." No where does it say "...but no longer than..." or something to that effect.

I do have some base left if needed but it'll be very close on even getting a lite once over.

Thanks

Alan
You're right. Those "P" sheets leave a lot to be desired. Given the lack of info a good rule of thumb is to clear base within 24 hours but if possible I'd check with your supplier to make sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.