Time to replace my air compressor, again. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Worked in the shop both days this weekend doing more organizing and repairing of equipment, and the compressor I have will cost me a little over $350 to upgrade with new pump and motor, which was rated at 4CFM@ 115psi.
I am looking at 2 different compressors locally, and have decided to not look at the 2hp- 30 gallon, 120 volt unit for $429, and go toward the 3.2 horse 230 volt 60 gallon compressor, thinking ahead and for $100 or so, this one carries a 3 year warranty. now to compare with other stores and see if I can beat it, the shipping by truck is something I can sort of get around, if it's freight I can have it delivered to work and unload it with the Tele-Handler and right into my truck bed, just need to know when. If i can go pick it up or have it delivered free, that would be even better.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

When it came right down to it, I ended up going the VERY cheapest route, picking it up, as opposed to over $200 in shipping fees, EVEN TO MY WORK! I ended up looking all over and going with Craftsman Professional series 60 gallon compressor.
My understanding is that I will have to just directly wire it into my breaker panel as it doesn't even come with a cord, typical of 220 appliances, and I already planned on rewiring the shop anyway, the compressor will be wired directly to eliminate using up the 220 outlet in that corner of the shop for use with an extension cord to run outside when certain other pieces of equipment NEED to be used remotely.
I already have a 12 foot section of 8/4 to use with this (only need 4), and plan on using my current 20 foot 8/4 cord for a pair of 220 outlets on the other side of the overhead door for the welders, I NEVER use both at the same time, so thats not an issue, I just need to mount a pair of outlets for them to plug into.
My plan of re-wiring the shop came about last weekend when I found a need for a couple more 110 outlets after the remodeling of the shop, and ALL major equipment will be at the front of the shop, cutting some wiring costs, but the current setup is a screw-in fuse panel feeding another fuse panel, with a 220 outlet feeding off the first panel, and 2 runs of 12/3 coming out on separate circuits for other purposes, 1-20 amp for the old MIG welder, and the other for security lights and cameras.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
This is my compressor.

It is 3 hp, runs on 220 Volts. I bought it probably sometime before 1980 from Sears, I think for around $300.00. I have replaced the pump, bought the newer pump at Grangier. I tnink I also replaced the switch, got that from Sears, a few years ago.

Would I buy a new Sears compressor now, probably not. When I bought the air compressor, Sears had pretty good quality stuff. I do not believe that is the case any more. Sears seems to have perfected the art of making stuff look pretty in the store, and masking the poor quality of the actual item.

When the day comes I need to replace the compressor, I will probably replace the motor, after all the pump is much newer than the motor. If my budget allows, I will possibily get an upright 2 stage compressor, with about a 5 hp motor. Probably from Grainger, again.

This is a tip I use to help the compressor. I have a second tank, this one.

The tank doubles the air capicity of the compressor. When I need compressed air, not in the garage where the compressor is located, I move the auxilary tank close to where I am using air, and I also can take the tank without the air compressor somewhere else. The tank will blow three oe four 15 inch flat tires up enough to move a trailer to a steady supply of compressed air.

Painting is a special case. I run regulated air, about 25 to 40 PSI in the hoses to the second tank. By doing that, the 120 PSI air, in the compressor tank expands, and one cubic foot of air, at 120 PSI becomes a few cubic feet of air at 40 PSI, is cooled in the expansion process, water condenses out of the air, is trapped by the water trap on the second tank, or just goes to the bottom of the second tank.

This allows me to run this paint gun,

that requires much more air than the 3 HP compressor should be able to put out. to be honest, I have not painted ant complete cars, just do panels, but but painting close to constantly, the compressor runs about 40 to 50 % of the time.
Your second tank would also double as an exceptional water trap with a couple of simple modifications...
Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Do Tell!

ignore this part. Message wants ten characters.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Mine a 60gal but it'll work with the smaller tanks as well. Stand the tank up,run a 3/4" copper pipe down to about a 1/2" from touching the bottom,this is the "air" in side also at the top of the tank is just a fitting for the "air out" side...whats nice is is works better and better as it fills up with water it works like an old hippies waterpipe....My paper filter has been on 6 months and still don't need to be changed yet. I use it every day at least 6-8hrs a day.
Come to think of it I haven't drained the tanks for a few months either,and I ment to because it could have froze and busted the tank.... I better get out there tomorrow check the oil and drain my tanks
BTW, the tank needs to stay standing upright
Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The new breaker panel is filled with the necessary breakers to rewire the entire shop to code, just need to find the time and effort to make it out there in single degree temps as of late.
The new compressor came a few days earlier than I was told it would, not too bad I just finished installing the new breaker panel the day before.
form 0 pressure empty to 150psi factory set motor shutoff, this compressor pumps 60 gallons of air to 150 psi in about 7 minutes. I gave it a test on a truck project that came in this past Saturday and I was so used to the lower pressure of my old compressor and slow recovery time, that this thing just worked circles around that.
I am thoroughly impressed with my new compressor. and it ended up cheaper than I was budgeted for.
Now to wait for warmer weather to run some hardline piping through the shop and add more quick disconnects and short hoses and shutoff valves.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.