Time for some body work - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 12:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Time for some body work

I want to get my car primed before it really starts raining and Im wondering what the best way to go about it to keep it safe during this winter. We dont get any snow here and its not garage kept so I need to keep it safe from the rain.

I don't want to drive around in all grey primer, so I want to do a black primer maybe I can get away with the flat black look lol..

But anyways I wanted to get it primed and body work done asap before winter rolls around cause there are little pits all over the car maybe from rocks hitting it and taking the paint right off and now surface rust spots is all over the car and I would like to get it taken care of now before it gets worse. There is absolutely no clear on the car at all. If I want to I can take my keys and lightly scratch the body and you can see the bare metal.

Originally I wanted to take it down to metal since there is really nothing to the paint on it now so I could find any other issues that needed attention. 80/100/150 would take it down in no time and spray it with epoxy myself then have body work done but thats not an option anymore. And I don't really want to pay an body shop to take it down to metal for me when I could easily do that myself.

So now the plan is to just sand down any little rust spots that I can find and hit it with some Permatex Rust Treatment. Then I guess I'll hit it with some dupli color self etching primer to keep it safe till it gets to the body shop.

Does any of that sound ok to you body experts on here? Or do you have any suggestions?

Would it be ok under a lot of rainy days with just the primer or should I seal it or have them spray a layer of clear till summer rolls around again and Im ready to paint. I plan on working on the drive train a little this winter and dont want mechanics scratching new paint so I just want to prime it.

So far this is the worse part on the car with rust that I have found which is on the front driver side fender

This around the metal and plastic trim around the windows and doors

On the actual doors...

Inside the back doors I know there has to be quite a bit of rust forming in there since the back window sweeps are dried out and cracked and the door fills with water when it rains or when I wash the car, I remember someone on another forum saying they took their doors off and dip them into some buckets of some kind of liquid that would eat up any rust... anyone know what Im talking about. I wish could remember what it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

Projected rust

Hi, I put on a rust converter I bought at the local auto parts store and then put on a spray can primer until I could get to the project. It has worked well and is still waiting for me to start the project next spring/summer. I have had it like that for 2 years now.

You will need to take that car down to bare metal with that rust, at least in the rust locations.

What kind of car is it?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Caprice, Im betting.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 PM

what? I thought I had just replied but I guess it didnt go through, but yeah its an caprice.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.