Time to take a breath - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 07:34 AM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Time to take a breath

You folks in the north don't really have this problem but the ones in the south can really relate to this. I just got off duty this morning and wanted to get an early start in the shop about 8:00. Well tomorrow is trash day and I was cleaning the shop up a little before starting. In the corner I had a set of jack stands I picked one up holding it in one hand and moving some stuff with the other. I felt something funny on my hand that had the jack stand. I looked and on the back of my hand was a da** freakin' huge Black Widow spider. After I got myself off the ceiling I checked and rechecked and was not bit. Found that sucker and made it a dead widow. The heart rate is almost back to normal now> I think the rod will wait while I very carefully clean the shop and check for more.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2003, 09:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

We've got black widows, scorpions, centipedes and rattlesnakes. The bottoms of my shoes are not pretty.
Glad you kept your cool...kinda... and "dispatched" the spider to her just reward.

Last edited by hotwheels55; 10-08-2003 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

I have them all over my shop. I usually set off a bomb once in a while to this them out. My trucks have nest all underneath them. Kindof gives you the willies when you reach through a beb accidentally.

Chris
Old 10-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:

Three more

While I took the time to clean the shop a little, mostly in the corners, under the benches and stuff. I found three more of them little suckers. The world population is lowered by 4. From now on I look alot closer to things before I pick them up.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Along for the ride

4 down, 8 million to go.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

we have all kinds of spiders and such over here. we have 55 acres in Honey Grove TX too, and every time i go up there just about i get bit by one of those huge garden spiders with the yellow legs. they are everywhere. i guess there not poisonous because i'm not dead yet, but it is very annoying. leaves a blister full of fluids and itches. kinda used to it now.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:04 AM

Last photo:

Around here we have a problem with "fiddle back" spiders,commonly known as the brown recluse.

I am constantly treating my shop with insecticides because they seem to love hiding in there.I have never been bitten but I still worry.

I hate these little suckers and the following link is why.(warning:graphic images!)

http://www.budgetpestcontrol.com/brownreclues.htm
Old 10-09-2003, 01:01 AM
Rusty And Dusty

Last photo:

Out here we have black widows, scorpions, rattlesnakes, tarantulas, and an occasional coyote. Haven't been bitten by anything yet, but you gotta be careful.

The wife was digging in the garden one day and stood up. As she turned around, she kicked a little gravel into a rattlesnake's face. She hovered into the house and the snake hauled tuchus in the opposite direction.

Don't ask me why, but she called me at work to tell me about the snake. I told her that I was at least 40 miles away, and the best I could do was call in an air strike. She calmed down and bought a .22, which she has loaded with shot shells, the next day.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:06 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Well, thank god we don't have them bugs running around. I'm not a big fan of spiders and such. If I actually saw a scorpion I'd probably die on the spot. We got other problems, Polar Bears , Albertans...

bonuts
Old 10-09-2003, 01:37 AM
Certified Cruck Lover

Last photo:

blech. I got stung by a scorpion once, I was in middle school on a trip and I had my shoes off, and was walking around our cabin.......and all of a sudden my right leg felt like it was on fire, and I started hollering and screaming, my foot swelled up so big I couldn't wear my shoe, and missed the next few days of school hehe, may have gotten me out of school a few days but I'd rather NOT go through that again
Old 10-09-2003, 03:20 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

We have Rattle snakes, copper heads, coral snakes, cotton mouths, widow womens (black widow as my father calls them) brown recluses and scorpions. I`ve only been stung by a scorpion, I was around 11 and was at school when i got tagged, we had our shoes off in the field doing something i don`t recall, and I felt the same thing, felt like fire going up my leg, it swelled and they called my father and my own principle took me to the hospitol, they gave me some kind of shots, and some other stuff and sent me home. Never been tagged by any widow womens or recluses that i know of, have had a few spider bites but not sure by which, usually, I find them here under the ramps, gotta do a oil change, flip the ramps first, usually find 1 in each. but since i`ve lived here all my life, I`m always checking anything that`s set a while, when i almost got bit years ago when i picked up a fuel pump and a widow woman came out of it and was on my fingers, it taught me a lesson i never forgot.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

One of my lifelong goals is to sucessfully shoot a spider out of his web with a BB gun leaging nothing but 8 little twitchers.

MoocH
Old 10-09-2003, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by k2mooch
One of my lifelong goals is to sucessfully shoot a spider out of his web with a BB gun leaging nothing but 8 little twitchers.

MoocH

i did that last weekend with my .44 desert eagle, but there was nothing left.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

If you find a cool looking spider thats dead but not squashed, send it to me, widows, banana, anything of good visual size with a cool look or pattern to it, scorpians are welcome too. I use them, I make them into stuff, I like them. I can usually find a few bunches in cable boxes (outdoors) telephone boxes, under tires ect, but this year it has been slim pickings, seems the cable and telephone guys are cleaning house. Found more hornets than anything, you can keep those if you've got them, I don't want them.

HK
Old 10-10-2003, 08:01 AM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

Ewwwww spiders......

Well, now I have the creepy crawlies. Thanks guys. This is all I need to start my day, now I'm gonna feel stuff crawling on me all day. Yechh!! Sure glad the subzero temperatures kill that kind of thing off before they get too far over the Canada/US border.
Bonuts, I can relate to the bear problem though, but we have black bears. One day when we still lived in the "wilderness" (really, we did, we had 160 acres about an hour north of the 'Peg) nothin' but bush as far as the eye could see. Darn I miss that place. But I digress......
I walked out my back door only to find a REALLY big Mama bear teaching her two cubs how to climb the tall pine trees in my back yard. Needless to say I backed slowly and carefully back into the house and called the appropriate authorities. Then I loaded the .22 and shot her in the a**. She didn't come back for a whole week, but the next time we had to use the rifle. She didn't come back again! Boooyaaa!!!

Chickie.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.