time to upgrade spray gun - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

time to upgrade spray gun

i have used a siphon gun, a devilbiss 502 for a long time, and am getting ready to come into the new millenium and invest in an hvlp gun. What is a good quality gun. i have been told that many of the new paints are to be sprayed only by hvlp, is this accurate? I like my siphon gun but am willing to change and use the old reliable devilbiss as a primer gun. What are the pros and cons of the hvlp?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM

Last photo:

Just because a gun is gravity fed dose not mean that it is HVLP. Their are many gravity guns that are not HVLP.

Since your an old devilbiss guy I recommend staying with them they are still good guns and are more value priced for at home novice painters.
They are many good spray guns on the market for a good value.
some include:
The devibiss Finishline (3 tip set up's included for HVLP and Non) $150
Devilbiss CVi $319.99
Binks M1G (also made by devilbiss) $329.99
Devilbiss GTI (two tips included) $249.99
Sharpe Razor $399.99
Sharpe cobalt $159.99

Ive used all of the guns above and they all are good guns. The Finishline is a damn good gun for novice painters and is cheap performance. But if you want more of a professional gun then I would look at:
Devilbiss Tekna
Iwata lph-400
sata rp-2000
Are top of the line guns in the $500 price range.

Remember to pick a gun based on the specs of your air compressor. You don't want a gun that needs more air then you can give.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:27 AM

Last journal entry: An update
Last photo:

I am in the same boat. After struggling for 20+ years with my Binks gun,I made the swap to a HVLP conversion gun about 5 years ago. I am now saving the hard earned to buy a proper HVLP turbine set up.
I have found that the HVLP conversion guns encourage that dimpled effect you see on new factory built cars and it takes forever to flat out the paint. ( I use 2K exclusively) .
After seeing the paint flow from a Turbine gun I am firmly convinced I need to have one.
Firstly,Hardly any spray fog,
Secondly,Lowered use of reducer,in fact the paint can go on quite thickly. I haven't found any flow specs on the paint sheets so i guess it's a matter of experiments .
Third,with a proper turbine unit (not a $80 HF unit... ) the paint is cooler as it goes on,again lessening the use of reducers. I don't know about your local climate but here i need to slow down the paint because of the ambient temp.
Forth,the guns are nice and simple with a huge fan range. The one I used goes from a pencil line to 15" wide. I can't do that with a conversion gun .
Fifth,My compressor is close to 25 years old and I need to replace it so the obvious choice is a turbine .

I have tried a lot of different conversion guns and to be frank,most are junk and not what they claim to be. many requiring a huge CFM to work.
I suggest you try Fuji and Apollo and see if you can arrange a demo run. i am sure you will be impressed by either companies products.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:29 AM

Last photo:

I am fortunate enough to have a 60 gallon 5 hp compressor with a refrigrated air dryer in line. I guess I dont undersatnd the difference between the hvlp and non hvlp. I appreciate your gun recomends. I paint maybe one or two cars a year and just grab the devilbiss and spray it out. I do likr the devilbiss guns, Started using one in the late 70s. Just havent done huge amounts of spraying over the years..........Steve
Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

Oh i miss my old mac tools cup gun w/1.8 tip. That gun layed down clear better than any of the HVLP's or RP guns i own. Most of the product would end up in the booth filters but man was it slick when you finished...HAHAHA!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

benchracer,your compressor would be OK with a conversion gun. But don't buy cheap,get the very best you can afford. Again i can only recommend Apollo's product having tried Iwata etc and found them to be not much better than a regular gun. A proper conversion gun should have a huge air inlet tract in the handle .Around 1/2" on a good one is normal . These conversion guns rely on a big volume of air and if the handle is the same size as a regular gun then that's all it is,just a spray gun. There are dozens of these junky chicom made items on the market and too many buy them thinking they are getting the real deal. The result is a bad name for HVLP.
i haven't used too much water based finish yet but almost all new cars here have it.i want to try ity on my nerxt project as an experiment,and i want to use a turbine to do it...I may have to hire one if i don't win the lotto...
Wwilliams, you are having the issue i mentioned above. A lot of So called conversion guns use too much air at the tip to achieve a fan . A real HVLP in use,just seems to spray paint only . No bounce off the part being painted means the gloss is amazing. A comparable effect is powder coating being applied.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

I thought i had a couple of good guns. Is my Iwata 400 not good enough or my Devilbiss Plus either??? I know the Plus is not a full Hvlp but a reduced pressure.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

My conversion gun is a Iwata 400 also but difference in "off the gun" finish has convinced me that they are just a compromise to the turbine gun. Where time is money it has convinced me that the less work to provide a perfect finish,the better I feel about it. it's the difference in many hours of work (and money) .
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercmad63
My conversion gun is a Iwata 400 also but difference in "off the gun" finish has convinced me that they are just a compromise to the turbine gun. Where time is money it has convinced me that the less work to provide a perfect finish,the better I feel about it. it's the difference in many hours of work (and money) .
True.. True.. I kinda always felt that way about that gun.. I do much better with clear through my Plus gun. . Why is buffing a car one of the rare things that you can be good at but absolutely hate to do?! I dont think i ever polished a paint job from my cup gun except for trash or debris removal.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.