Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Timing 355
Thread: Timing 355
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10 View Post
20 deg mech adv is on the high side, may want to try about 14-15 and bump the base up to 20 ish again. But if it is rattling at WOT then the changes to the mech limit may not matter. I see the vacuum adv is not hooked up so that is not the issue. Ensure he dist is really clean and the mech adv is free to move and wont hang up. Its got the heavy springs so the curve is not agressive

I am un wise to the ways of the qjet but it may be a lean AF ratio causing the ping issue. Check the fuel psi, filter and jetting + carb functions etc. If the motor is carboned up that can make it rattle as well.

vacuum leaks?, the basics

Well when I had it at 38* Total you can really hear it rattle at wide open but I find that the motor likes 15* initial and 36* Total it still rattles but not nothing like at 38*, I do not have the vacuum advan hooked up, the distributor moves free, I never had a problem before with the Qjet, I can tell you that the plugs are all black, when I pulled the plugs out I put my Camera inspector into the combustion chamber and you can see the carbon on the pistons, this engine does more idling more than anything, this year I only took her out once