Timing 355 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Timing 355

I知 having trouble timing my 355, I messed with the timing all day, the engine was rebuilt before I purchased the car and has radial cam, and I estimate the compression to be around 10:1, I started off with 18* initial and 38* Total, and took her for a run and at wide open throttle I heard pining, I then lower the timing to 15* initial and 36* Total I got all kinds of power and getting 13 PSI of vacuum pressure, but when I took her out for a run I still heard some pinging but not as much as I did when I had it 38*, I tried lowering the timing again but didn稚 help still heard some pinging and you can feel the loss of power, I知 running 91 Octane but the fuel is from June 2012, do you think the fuel is gone bad?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Need to know everything you can tell about the motor. You could have compounded issues going on.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981zapper View Post
I知 having trouble timing my 355, I messed with the timing all day, the engine was rebuilt before I purchased the car and has radial cam, and I estimate the compression to be around 10:1, I started off with 18* initial and 38* Total, and took her for a run and at wide open throttle I heard pining, I then lower the timing to 15* initial and 36* Total I got all kinds of power and getting 13 PSI of vacuum pressure, but when I took her out for a run I still heard some pinging but not as much as I did when I had it 38*, I tried lowering the timing again but didn稚 help still heard some pinging and you can feel the loss of power, I知 running 91 Octane but the fuel is from June 2012, do you think the fuel is gone bad?
Cam #'s, heads, intake, Carb.....etc etc.....more info needed.....but no, i doubt 5 month old fuel is "gone bad" .......sounds like you get the initial nailed down but to much total, a recurve would likely help, what plugs, gapped at what etc.....just more info.....a flyweight car may get away with more total, a 4x4 truck....not so much....just need to know more before everyone chimes in...
Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
Cam #'s, heads, intake, Carb.....etc etc.....more info needed.....but no, i doubt 5 month old fuel is "gone bad" .......sounds like you get the initial nailed down but to much total, a recurve would likely help, what plugs, gapped at what etc.....just more info.....a flyweight car may get away with more total, a 4x4 truck....not so much....just need to know more before everyone chimes in...
The engine is in a 1981 Camaro Z28, with a Turbo 350 automatic and 3000 Stall Converter,
like i said i have no engine specs, the pervious owner said he rebuilt the motor in the 90's and does not have any mileage on it, he said the compression is around 10:1, the heads casting #: 462624, its got the factory cast-iron intake manifold, Qjet carb, i'm running Delco R45TS plugs gapped at .45, i just changed the wires to Taylor 8MM Street wire, its a pretty radical cam in there,
Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

i bought the car in 09 and never had a problem with it pinging, but i had to pull the distributor, there was no timing tape so i didn't know what the pervious owner set the timing at, here is a pic of the engine when i bought her

Here is a pic of the springs in the distributor, the rotor and cap looked all good
Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

20 deg mech adv is on the high side, may want to try about 14-15 and bump the base up to 20 ish again. But if it is rattling at WOT then the changes to the mech limit may not matter. I see the vacuum adv is not hooked up so that is not the issue. Ensure he dist is really clean and the mech adv is free to move and wont hang up. Its got the heavy springs so the curve is not agressive

I am un wise to the ways of the qjet but it may be a lean AF ratio causing the ping issue. Check the fuel psi, filter and jetting + carb functions etc. If the motor is carboned up that can make it rattle as well.

vacuum leaks?, the basics
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 PM

run a few tanks of fuel,gas goes stale quickly with out stabiliser.cam sounds mild enough
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10 View Post
20 deg mech adv is on the high side, may want to try about 14-15 and bump the base up to 20 ish again. But if it is rattling at WOT then the changes to the mech limit may not matter. I see the vacuum adv is not hooked up so that is not the issue. Ensure he dist is really clean and the mech adv is free to move and wont hang up. Its got the heavy springs so the curve is not agressive

I am un wise to the ways of the qjet but it may be a lean AF ratio causing the ping issue. Check the fuel psi, filter and jetting + carb functions etc. If the motor is carboned up that can make it rattle as well.

vacuum leaks?, the basics

Well when I had it at 38* Total you can really hear it rattle at wide open but I find that the motor likes 15* initial and 36* Total it still rattles but not nothing like at 38*, I do not have the vacuum advan hooked up, the distributor moves free, I never had a problem before with the Qjet, I can tell you that the plugs are all black, when I pulled the plugs out I put my Camera inspector into the combustion chamber and you can see the carbon on the pistons, this engine does more idling more than anything, this year I only took her out once

Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Wrong post. disregard
Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

I agree with Vinnie, doesn't sound like a real lumpy cam or anything, typical 268 sound to me. But if you pulled the dist, and this started after you reintalled it your going to have to go back to basics, find true tdc, get a timing tape on it and a dial back light and start from scratch....typical hei has 20 degrees built into it. But without knowing your initial is what you think it is your kinda guessing here....
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

If its full of carbon, and sits around that much, get the timing sorted out, your likely going to want to limit total to 34 or 35, get the highest octane pump you can get, and go drive the damn thing and clean it out lol.......good gas, and a little abuse (assuming its not rattling anymore with conservitive timing) will do wonders, once its de- carboned (is that a word) then you can sneak back up on the timing to see what it wants for maximum performance....
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Old & Furious

First problem your chip moduale says gm on it. You need an after market one. Stock one drops off at 5500 or so. If you dont already, buy a kit with recurve, moduale, coil, cap and rotor the works. Then google for hei setup usally you need to make several small adjustments for bigger cams. And usally all work toward restricting advace from mechanical and vacum and using more inital advance.

I wont go over all the steps here i have seen great stuff on the web for hei setups. With lots of good close up pix.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
find true tdc, get a timing tape on it and a dial back light and start from scratch....typical hei has 20 degrees built into it. But without knowing your initial is what you think it is your kinda guessing here....
agree, could be getting 45 btdc actual,,, and reading 36, check TDC and balancer tab accuracy should always be #1 thing before the light goes on it
Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
First problem your chip moduale says gm on it. You need an after market one. Stock one drops off at 5500 or so. If you dont already, buy a kit with recurve, moduale, coil, cap and rotor the works. Then google for hei setup usally you need to make several small adjustments for bigger cams. And usally all work toward restricting advace from mechanical and vacum and using more inital advance.

I wont go over all the steps here i have seen great stuff on the web for hei setups. With lots of good close up pix.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...EI_distributor
Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10 View Post
agree, could be getting 45 btdc actual,,, and reading 36, check TDC and balancer tab accuracy should always be #1 thing before the light goes on it
when i say 36* total that's without the vaccum advance hooked up, i have it plugged

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.