Timing a 364 Nailhead w/671 blower - need advise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Timing a 364 Nailhead w/671 blower - need advise

I have a 364 nailhead with a 671 blower. It is a mild street motor. It has a YCM Mallory Distributor , MSD 6AL box w/in the car dial timing control. I managed to get two mile passes last year and the car pulled good the entire way. The PO said timing was locked and I did not pay much attention to that. I pulled the blower due to blower gasket leaking. I noticed that the distributor did not have any vacuum advance so I pulled it to check further. I found it has no mechanical advance. Guess that is what PO owner meant by locked. I installed the distributor exactly as it was pulled and then marked the custom steel hub for TDC. The engine fired on the first revolution, idled and ran fine. I checked the timing and it is 10 degrees advanced. With the blower and firewall it is impossible to reach in to loosen and twist the distributor for more timing and the dial in the car gives a max of 20 degrees.

My question what effect is the lack of mechanical advance going have? I am leery about trying to make a full throttle pass with it now. Some have told me to run 33 degrees advance but I think this will make it difficult to start.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude076
I have a 364 nailhead with a 671 blower. It is a mild street motor. It has a YCM Mallory Distributor , MSD 6AL box w/in the car dial timing control. I managed to get two mile passes last year and the car pulled good the entire way. The PO said timing was locked and I did not pay much attention to that. I pulled the blower due to blower gasket leaking. I noticed that the distributor did not have any vacuum advance so I pulled it to check further. I found it has no mechanical advance. Guess that is what PO owner meant by locked. I installed the distributor exactly as it was pulled and then marked the custom steel hub for TDC. The engine fired on the first revolution, idled and ran fine. I checked the timing and it is 10 degrees advanced. With the blower and firewall it is impossible to reach in to loosen and twist the distributor for more timing and the dial in the car gives a max of 20 degrees. My question what effect is the lack of mechanical advance going have? I am leery about trying to make a full throttle pass with it now. Some have told me to run 33 degrees advance but I think this will make it difficult to start.
I would give it 22-24 BTDC to begin with and work up from there- but I would caution against using anything more than 30-32 max until you can verify there is absolutely NO detonation taking place. This means reading the plugs very carefully, as there can be detonation that goes unheard- especially when at the track w/loud exhaust from you and/or the car beside you- plus you're concentrating on other things anyway.

ANY "peppery"-looking deposits on the insulator is an indication you're in the danger zone, that's aluminum you're seeing. Use the best available pump fuel for the street (if you can get E85, I would modify the fuel system for it ASAP), and consider using race fuel at the track for safety sake.

If you find it becomes difficult to start w/the timing locked in, you can use an ignition interrupter like you've seen NASCAR cars use. You trigger the starter w/o ignition, once the engine is turning over, trigger the ignition to start and release the temporary "ON" switch for the starter. There are other schemes for doing this, search here for more.

Another option is to use a distributor w/vacuum and mechanical advance and set it up to run w/an advance curve. If it was me, this is the approach I would take- especially if the boost isn't that high to begin with. BTW, what IS your boost or pulley ratio?

This all assumes the cooling system is doing its job and the engine isn't running hot to begin with- a hot running engine is much more detonation-prone and will limit the tune you can use.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Thanks. This is my first blower motor so been reading as much as I can on them. Appreciate the tips. Should have put this info in my original post. Car runs very cool 170 - 180 with no fans and air flowing through the radiator. At a red light it gets to 200+ but cools down as soon as you are moving. I avoid stop and go routes to the local cruises. Blower pulley is 6.5 and crank pulley is 5 so I calculate a 1.3 under drive. Boost last year was 7 but did not check the gauge after replacing gaskets. Checking belt runouts, timing, oil pressure, etc just plain forgot. Will check that this evening.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Sounds good. What is the engine in?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

A better measure of your blower drive ratio is the number of teeth on each pulley, are they modern 8 mm pulleys or half inch?

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 05-02-2011, 10:40 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Ha! A Henry J, don't see that everyday. I'll guess '52, but they all looked similar along through there...

Quote:
are they modern 8 mm pulleys or half inch?
Looks to be 1/2" pitch.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
A better measure of your blower drive ratio is the number of teeth on each pulley, are they modern 8 mm pulleys or half inch?
Will check this evening.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Ha! A Henry J, don't see that everyday. I'll guess '52, but they all looked similar along through there...

Looks to be 1/2" pitch.
51 Henry J

Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If you are not going to use the boost timing retard box , set the timing at 28deg.

If you will be using the boost retard box, set the timing at 36deg, then set the boost retard box to take out 2deg per # of boost, as the boost comes in.

You can ply a bit with the rate of boost retard. (degrees of retard per # of boost)

But max timing under boost will want to be 26 to 30deg reguardless, on 92+octane pump gas.

Use a timing light and a mechanics vacuum/boost hand pump to verify the timing and action of the boost retard box.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

HEY...HEYJUDE, that is a sweet looking car, love Henry J's and nailhead Buicks....throw in a 6-71 and a Hilborn scoop, VERY NICE !!!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 AM

Last photo:

Thanks everyone for the info and compliments. This thread has been a real education for me. I have to do some thinking of the direction to go. That MSD w/boost retard sure looks like the answer but $$$.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.