Timing a 4.3 Chevy V6 carbureted HEI - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Timing a 4.3 Chevy V6 carbureted HEI

I've got a 1994 Chevy 4.3 V6 which I've converted to carburetion. I'm ready to set the timing, but getting conflcting thread options on how it should be done. I'm using a Skip White 65K HEI distributor on a 4bbl 1984 truck manifold. There are 2 marks on the timing pulley. Some threads say to line up the first line and others say the second, as I turn the pulley clockwise. I'm also not sure of where the #1 cyclinder should be on the distributor. I start to get compression as the first mark passes. If anyone has one of these setups, I would appreciate any help. Thanksd, Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	distributor jeepster 001.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	933.2 KB
ID:	140914  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Everything is HAMMER!

Last photo:

I remember how frustrated I was when I set timed my first distributor, but believe me it is something anyone can do. A simple Google search on "setting timing on a distributor" should give you more information then you need to do it properly. Also, I'm certain there is a crankshaft coalition wiki on setting up a distributor somewhere.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:48 AM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:

does it ping when driven? if not, keep advancing the timing until it does, then back it off 2 degrees and forget it.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 AM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

The only way to know for sure the timing mark is right on the money now that the engine is assembled is to use a piston stop. They can be made cheaply and fairly easily with an old spark plug. Follow the articles on the crankshaft coalition page.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...op_dead_center

The #1 on the distributor should be the terminal on the cap that is closest to pointing at the #1 cylinder, drivers side front of the engine. Same basic setting as a sbc with two less terminals.

It doesn't have to be that exact one but that is the one the factory used as #1. If the rotor doesn't line up with that terminal when at tdc you will need to pull the distributor and reinstall it in the correct spot.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:52 PM

on 89 timing mark is the one on the left and the one on the right points to another mark on timing cover lower down
Old 04-26-2014, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Thanks to all for the help. I should be able to set it now. Tom.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Last journal entry: 41' finally has paint on it
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Evans View Post
I've got a 1994 Chevy 4.3 V6 which I've converted to carburetion. I'm ready to set the timing, but getting conflcting thread options on how it should be done. I'm using a Skip White 65K HEI distributor on a 4bbl 1984 truck manifold. There are 2 marks on the timing pulley. Some threads say to line up the first line and others say the second, as I turn the pulley clockwise. I'm also not sure of where the #1 cyclinder should be on the distributor. I start to get compression as the first mark passes. If anyone has one of these setups, I would appreciate any help. Thanksd, Tom.
I've got a 94' that was in a s10 Blazer. I had to replace the fuel injection spider assembly and when I tried to go by the marks on the balancer to drop in the dist. it about drove me nuts, because it kept backfiring when I tried to use either of the marks on the harmonic balancer.
I finally used a home made piston stop to find TDC. I placed a mark on the balancer with chalk, installed the dist. and it fired right up
Old 04-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

. Yes, even buying a piston stop tool is like only about $5.95... handy in case the outer ring of the harmonic balancer has slipped a bit on the rubber... or putting timing marks where they are easier to see...
Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

I have the front fenders off now, so I am able to see the top of the number one cylinder with a flashlight. With the timing mark aligned I,m right on TDC. I should be good to go now. Thanks, Tom

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.