Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - timing chain
Thread: timing chain
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

timing chain

I have a 90 Chevy PU with the standard 350 TBI. It was running but had a blown head gasket and coolant in the oil. Changed both head gaskets and set timing, valves etc. Now it won't start. Have spark, even swaped distributor and coil from a van that I am parting out.
When I set the balancer at TDC on the indicator and adjusted the rockers, it seemed fine. But when I rotate the engine past TDC, the rockers are loose agian. Engine will try to start with the pedal pushed in, but never really starts. My buddy thinks I may have slipped a tooth on the timing chain, but it is hard to believe when I didnt touch the cam or chain at all. Any other ideas before I pull the water pump again and the timing cover? I am not 180 out, I physically watched the intake valve open and close as I was rotating the engine by hand. I have checked and triple checked all the obvious mistakes, I have fuel and spark and even sprayed starting fluid in. I dont think the rockers should loosen past TDC, any one have any ideas??