Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - timing chain ?
Thread: timing chain ?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEsGarage View Post
Like most have stated if it's apart; replace it. If it is something that your on the fence about, a rebuild perhaps and need a good reason; replace it. I've never given thought about the service limit on a fixed timing chain. I say that because I'd replace it but something like a 64 Mercedes 220b, 6cyl or a Suzuki, GLS800, you never know, are adjustable. In that case you would look at how much adjustment is left bla bla bla because it's now a $250.00 chain W/O gears.
What's the engine? Just curious, I'm guessing a good-ol Chevy.

Cheer's
Well lots of motor cycles these days have adjusters on the chain. But its not really for adjustment especially in cars. Its only for install and rebuild because the chain needs tension so they put a tensioner in place. Yeah you can adjust it but normally if they stretch there toast. Usaly its not recommended to adjust chains in cars if they are factory set as most adjuster are spring loaded and your only adjusting tension on the spring. Some older motorcycles have chains that stretch a little and some stretch as thye break in but its not like a rear drive chain where ypu adjust it until its end of life. They run in oil and should not wear or stretch.

In any case same holds true for all if you have it in hand or can see it replace it.

Hope that helps