Hot Rod Forum banner

timing chain?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  85 vette 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have an 85 corvette with a stock 350 in it with 170,000 miles on it. The other day while driving it just shut off. When i cranked it there was a funny jingling sound accompanying the normal starter noise so i decided to check it out before i ruined something. To make it short, i found that the rotor in the distributer was not anywhere near the #1 plug wire position when i put the timing mark on the damper to 0 or top dead center. I then found that the rotor wasn't moving at all when i turned the crank. My question is, assuming that the timing chain broke, if i make sure the crank timing mark is at TDC (and both valves on #1 piston are closed)and i put a new timing chain on, will i have to pull the distributer out to reset it's #1 plug wire position or will just lining up the timing marks on the cam and crankshaft gears be enough to set timing in the right position? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

#2 ·
You will have to find out exactly what happened. If the timing chain did break, you will need to find out if the valves hit the pistons and bent.

I think it may have been the distributor gear. Pull the distributor and check it out. That is the easiest thing to check, so check it first.

#4 ·
i found that when the timing chain breaks, the engine will wind over seemingly quicker and or easier than when the chain is in place.almost like winding it with no plugs.
just pop a valve cover off and wind it by hand, no valve movement, no chain. mike

#7 ·
timing chain

OK, First off thanks for answering so fast. I won't be able to check the valve train until tommorow but I do have another question. If the gear in the distributer was sheared wouldn't you be able to grab the rotor and turn it freely by hand? The rotor is in a fixed position and will not move even if the crank is turned. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to turn the cam yet either, to see if that made the rotor turn. thanks

#8 ·
Hmm, I don't think timing chains can "jump teeth." Maybe they can stretch enough so that the timing is no longer lined up, but I've never seen them jump...

You're probably going to end up taking the pan off this motor and getting chunks of goodies out of the pan. As long as you're doing all that, how about a performance cam upgrade?!?!

:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.