Hot Rod Forum banner

Timing Chain cover

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  '67Pony 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all....

Just got the '67 Mustang w/ 429 Ford BB going this weekend. Seems to run like a r@ped ape. BUT, after warming it up a little I decided to install the radiator and what nots so I could REALLY warm it up with water and the whole nine yards.....much to my dismay the timing chain cover leaks water. Yeah, tell me how pissed I was...anyway. I took off the water pump and loosened the remaining four timing chain cover bolts just enough so that I could slip a shim between the TC cover and the block. I then proceeded to force goop (black high temp silicone) in between the block and the cover from both the inside and the outside of the cover. BTW - the gasket remained in tact so I'm crossing my fingers this work.

My question is - if this doesn't work will it be possible to take the TC cover off without dropping the oil pan? If so, what about reinstallation? Any nifty tricks that will allow me to do this without dropping the oil pan?

TIA

I have a feeling it this will not seal it and I will NOT be able to replace the cover without dropping the oil pan. MAYBE.

Here's what I was thinking-

I can get the old cover off without dropping the oil pan by cutting it in a few select locations. Then purchase a new cover and maybe if I cut the inner lip of the curved area that seals against the oil pan...and goop it up real good.

The reason I don't want to drop the oil pan is because it took me 8 days to get the motor in, the trans bolted up, and the headers installed....and to change the oil pan gasket will require I pull the whole mess out and start over.

Anyway, thanks for reading and offering advice.

Gary

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.