Timing Chain cover - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Dancin' to Heavens Door

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Timing Chain cover

Hi all....

Just got the '67 Mustang w/ 429 Ford BB going this weekend. Seems to run like a r@ped ape. BUT, after warming it up a little I decided to install the radiator and what nots so I could REALLY warm it up with water and the whole nine yards.....much to my dismay the timing chain cover leaks water. Yeah, tell me how pissed I was...anyway. I took off the water pump and loosened the remaining four timing chain cover bolts just enough so that I could slip a shim between the TC cover and the block. I then proceeded to force goop (black high temp silicone) in between the block and the cover from both the inside and the outside of the cover. BTW - the gasket remained in tact so I'm crossing my fingers this work.

My question is - if this doesn't work will it be possible to take the TC cover off without dropping the oil pan? If so, what about reinstallation? Any nifty tricks that will allow me to do this without dropping the oil pan?

TIA

I have a feeling it this will not seal it and I will NOT be able to replace the cover without dropping the oil pan. MAYBE.

Here's what I was thinking-

I can get the old cover off without dropping the oil pan by cutting it in a few select locations. Then purchase a new cover and maybe if I cut the inner lip of the curved area that seals against the oil pan...and goop it up real good.

The reason I don't want to drop the oil pan is because it took me 8 days to get the motor in, the trans bolted up, and the headers installed....and to change the oil pan gasket will require I pull the whole mess out and start over.

Anyway, thanks for reading and offering advice.

Gary

Advertisement

Last edited by '67Pony; 09-08-2003 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2003, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

Hi Gary. sounds like a bummer on your newly installed engine. But you won't need to remove the pan to change the cover. Just take off the crank pulley, remove all the bolts, plus the 2 that come in from underneith and remove the cover. Change the gasket and bottom seal and the gasket ends and replace. Tighten the 2 bottom bolts that come in from the pan first, then the rest, presto! all done.

Most "timing cover gasket sets" will have the 2 ends of the pan gasket and bottom rubber seal in it.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:39 AM
Dancin' to Heavens Door

Last photo:

Even though its actually text to my eyes...when I read it out loud it becomes music to my ears. I'm sooo glad to hear that. I thought surely I'd have to drop it.

Thanks for the good news!!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.