Timing Chevy 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2002, 08:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Timing Chevy 350

I have a Chevy 350 that has a non oem cam. I am found that oem timing is 8 degrees before top dead center. my question is do you have to make an adjustments for a non standard cam shaft?? I do not know the specs on the cam but I do not think it is that radical. Davesr@trianglesalesusa.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2002, 02:06 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

it depends on the cam but when in doubt just put it in straight up. line up the dot on the cam gear with the dot on the crank gear. that gives you no advance and no retardation
Old 06-11-2002, 07:10 PM

i agree w/bull.get it fired up the old fashioned way, then adjust the total timing while its running.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:57 PM

I think you are talking ignition timing not cam timing correct? If so you want a total of 34 degrees advance at 2800 RPM with the vacume advance disconected.You can get this with the springs that come with the Crane adjustable vacume advance. The distributor has 20 degrees in it and you need to ste the timeing up to make up for the rest. So I would set the timeing at 12 degrees. Leave the vacume advance off and try several full throtel rund thrue the gears if you have no ping or knock then run the advance. If you have knock at this point you should install a Crane adjustable vacume advance. I set min to run 16 degrees advance for a total of 52 degrees at cruse. With the adjusting screw out 6 turnes. My 10 to 1 compresion emgine does not knock or ping with the middle grade of Ammaco fuel. Look at the Crane seight on the web and if you need more help contact me.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.