timing cover to pump clearance - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2003, 03:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

timing cover to pump clearance

I'm installing the Proform high tech series engine dress kit to my Chevy small block. It comprises of rocker covers, air cleaner and timing cover which are all finished in a metallic gray enamel. My question is, and it's a simple one, do all water pumps sit firm against the timing cover? Coz mine does. I don't like that at all as the cover would become marked/scratched. It's a cast iron w/pump that has a plate at the rear which is not totally flat - this is what makes contact with the timing cover. Now, I understand there are long and short water pumps. Would a long pump have more clearance at the rear? Or is it just longer at the front? And do longer water pumps cause the belt pulleys to be misaligned requiring modifications? Like I said, it's a simple dilemma but annoying never the less. Do some after market pumps have more clearance at the rear? It's just a shame to see such a beautiful cover get bruised and be obscured from your eyes. Rob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2003, 04:57 PM
v8s10.org

Last photo:

Short water pumps sit right against the timing cover,but most long pumps are about 1/4" away. I have a aftermarket alum timing cover on my truck with a short pump and theres like .010" clearance.
If you did swap to a long pump all your accessory brackets and pulleys would no longer work.You might double up on the waterpump gaskets to gain some clearance.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Just leave it how it is. How many times do you think people are going to take your water pump off and see the scratches on the cover. Assuming of course that it would be scratched only where the two make contact.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:52 AM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

I got a long style and i have at least a inch of clearance.. the only down fall is your pulley's.. u also have to realize that your moving your fan if its a clutch fan of some sort closer to the rad.. so careful on your clearance there if u got for the long style pump.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.