timing and cranking a 383 chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

timing and cranking a 383 chevy

Hi, i have a chevy 383, 10,5 compression, iron heads with 200cc intake ports, and the cam is comp 280 magnum, 230@0,50 and 480 lift, and HEI ignition. when it idles best the timing is 18 degree and that is at 900-1000 rpm and the total is 38 degree, OK i was told that these are fair and normal figures but it punches the living hell out of the starter when im cranking her up, OK i can buy me self a high torque mini starter but wont he get the same punishment as this one ? And another thing it seems like the engine performs better with the vacuum advance blinded ?! this cam can barely be used with power brakes, OK can be fixed with a canister but will that somehow help the vacuum advance on the distributor ? Hmmm ? HELP please ?
Thanks in advance. Kristofer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

Try backing the timing down 2. Check the condition of your cables and connections. The late style mini starters work great if you are in need of starter.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 PM

Thanks for your reply, When i retard the ignition 2-3 degrees it is surely helping the starter but not enaugh and the idle speed drops about 150-200 rpm and i can feel a diffrence in how she does not accelerate as freely as with timing at 18 deegre.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:14 PM

one thing to check is see if your distributor has up and down play in it if it does what can happen is when the eng is off it drops down and because of the angle of the teeth on the gear it advances the distributor so it goes to 22 deg or whatever more than you set it at. As soon as it starts it lifts up and retards it to your 18 deg and you can never see it happen. Take the cap off and the rotor and without moving the centrifigal advance move the distr shaft clockwise and counter clockwise and see how much play it has. I find gm dist have allot of play and I make a shim to take up the play and helps with this exact problem.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:42 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,163 Times in 959 Posts
Kristofer, what ever happened when you raised the hood on the 'Vette to experiment with a cooling problem. Just curious. Here is the thread....
heating problem at cruise speed
Old 10-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
1. Install a MSD "Starter Saver" auto cranking ignition retard control box to retard the spark while the motor is cranking over and starting. Full timing is restored once the motor achives 500+rpm idle speed.

This is what I'd do.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

24* is way too much for 10.5:1 with iron heads, and that cam isn't that big. Kepp it at the 18 you have now and get the starter saver or wire a manual cut out switch to the ignition- a lot of people do it that way.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
Hi, i have a chevy 383, 10,5 compression, iron heads with 200cc intake ports, and the cam is comp 280 magnum, 230@0,50 and 480 lift, and HEI ignition. when it idles best the timing is 18 degree and that is at 900-1000 rpm and the total is 38 degree, OK i was told that these are fair and normal figures but it punches the living hell out of the starter when im cranking her up, OK i can buy me self a high torque mini starter but wont he get the same punishment as this one ? And another thing it seems like the engine performs better with the vacuum advance blinded ?! this cam can barely be used with power brakes, OK can be fixed with a canister but will that somehow help the vacuum advance on the distributor ? Hmmm ? HELP please ?
Thanks in advance. Kristofer.
I have a 383 with a XE274 cam 230* intake, 236* exhaust, 10.36 static CR running on 89 octane pump gas.

I set my timing to 34* all in by 2600 rpm. I have 13" vacuum at idle and am using a vacuum can per Lars' specs.

Absolutly no problems cranking, either with stock starter or smaller high torque.

BTW, I don't know what initial timing is, it does not matter.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen242
BTW, I don't know what initial timing is, it does not matter.
Well it kind of matters IF and only IF you don't like holes through your pistons, but hey, some people go for that kind of thing.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Well it kind of matters IF and only IF you don't like holes through your pistons, but hey, some people go for that kind of thing.
How am I going to get holes in my pistons when my total centrifugal advance is limited to 34*????

PLEASE TELL ME!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Oh, its very simple, if you have 34* of timing at idle, and you're idle is set below 2,700 RPM or so, which I expect for that cam is probably around 900 RPM. Then it would be detonating a LOT from take off- that's kind of the whole idea behind having mechanical advance on a dizzy- so you have more timing when you need it, but not too much when you are carrying a high load at low engine speeds.

to simplify it 34* timing + that cam + that compression (at take-off)= BOOM!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Oh, its very simple, if you have 34* of timing at idle, and you're idle is set below 2,700 RPM or so, which I expect for that cam is probably around 900 RPM. Then it would be detonating a LOT from take off- that's kind of the whole idea behind having mechanical advance on a dizzy- so you have more timing when you need it, but not too much when you are carrying a high load at low engine speeds.

Sir:

I said the 34* centrifugal timing was in at 2600 rpm, as the post stated, that is where I set it with an adjustable timing light. I will bet you that I do not have 34* at idle.

I have looked at your other posts for the month of October, and I believe you are badly mistaken on a lot of them.

Things that jump out, aside from the bad advice:

10-02-08 quote

"stock 4.3L is 237 CI....." end quote
That = 55cc per L not the +/- 61cc per L that I learned in school.

10-10-08 + other posts: quote
"I am just an engineer, but..."
Your profile shows you as a mechanic, attending SEMo for construction management ...
Ocupation:mechanic, part time laborer

How can you call yourself an engineer, without a degree???

Your above post, concerning my timing, is stupid beyond belief! You either can't read or you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

You registered on this site on 6-13-2005. Your birthdate is July 24, 1985. You were almost 20 years old. You made no mention of studying to be an engineer, instead you said you were a mechanic, attending SEMo for construction Management.

So when and where did you receive your Engineering degree and in what discipline? Was it on the Chessie System (railroad line)?

How come there are no MORON Smilies?

Last edited by glen242; 10-15-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:

Too many factors to say that is an absolute. I ran 9.5:1 with a 218/224 cam with 110 LSA and was able to lock out my mechanical and run 36* all the time PLUS ported vac.

Chamber design, altitude, thermostat temp, intake air temp, quench, piston design, carb tune, exhaust design/scavenging, stall speed, auto or manual, if the cam is installed straight up or advanced/retarded... the list goes on.

To say that its definite that he'll cause damage is pretty premature at this point.

Initial timing is a pointless number provided it doesn't cause problems elsewhere in the RPMS/load. You can get away with a lot more low RPM timing with an automatic since heavy loading (lots of right foot) will always mean elevated RPMs.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 PM

Hi, to answer techinspector1. We did raise the hood and that for sure helped, out. The temp fell well down. Thanks for a good advice.
Kristofer.
P.s. forgive me not telling you before.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:55 PM

Ok, many good advice, thank you all for your time, first i checked the play in the distributor and that was at minimum i believe, i guess it may not be to tight either, another thing i see you guys very often set your total timing at 34-36 degrees, in my experiments 38 has very often give me best results ? ! Maybe the cold here has something to do with it, at summer usually around 65 on Fahrenheit, and im going to try adding a switch on the ign.wire.
Thanks. Kristofer.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.