Hot Rod Forum banner

timing gear

773 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  M&M CUSTOM 
#1 ·
I have a 78 chevy 350, and i am having a problem with getting my timing gear off of the crank, my when i pulled the gear off my mustang GT it came right off. Well sorry to say i left it there and replaced the cam gear and the chain anyway. The crank gear looked good so i diddnt really worry about it but is there any way that it could cause me a problem in the future, could that be causing me to have a power loss. Is there a special tool that you have to use to get the gear off a chevy motor? Please let me know i am very frustrated with it and worried. Thank u everyone.

#3 ·
Yep, many say you "Need" to replace the timing chain everytime you change the cam.. I was putting a different cam in my truck and the fella helping me wanted to throw the cam, lifters, and timing chain in the trash.. He said that's where used parts belong?? I disagree

#5 ·
If you only replaced the cam gear and chain, you will likely see a shorter chain life than with the changing of both gears.
I would only venture to give an estimate of a 25 percent lifetime loss to the chain and cam gear, a lot would depend on the condition of the crank gear.
That could also last the rest of the lifetime of the engine, either way would only be a guess. Educated of not.
A gear puller should be used for removal of a stubborn like that one, these could be rented inexpensively at a local auto parts store, or even fabricated from a piece of properly bent flat steel and a threaded hole over the crank snout surface to run a bolt through to force the gear off, or to connect a slide hammer to.
I have seen a couple gears though that had to be broken off the crank but those engines were severely abused before they were to be parted out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.