Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Timing gears vs double roller chain timing chain
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2003, 07:36 AM
paints everything flat black

Last journal entry: September 2005 - Current
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I stand by timing gears as a worthwhile investment, just for the peace of mind of never having to worry about timing changes.

For the last three years I've been running a Sig Erson single idler timing gear setup, it's got a one piece billet aluminum housing and it really isn't very noisy. It does have a nice whine to it, reminiscent of a big blower setup, just much more subtle. It has an access cover located directly beneath the water pump, so without completely disassembling your engine, you can open the acces cover and make adjustments to cam timing.

It's not that a timing gear is going to really give you any direct benefits performance wise over a standard double roller, I think it's more about peace of mind, and having people ask me "dang man, what's that sound? What do you have under there?" Which is fun in itself cause you can play with stupid ricers and make up whatever stories you want and they'll never be the wiser.