Timing help - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

tdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
you are degreening the ignition and verifying that the mark on the balancer is correct.If its SFI approved and has slipped,get warranty.
when tdc is measured exactly,the 0 on the timing tab should line up exactly with the line on the balancer

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM

Which it does. We ran through it 3 times to make dam sure it was right. Every time #1 was tdc the 0* lined up with my pointer.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 PM

why did you decide to check the timing? is there a power issue,or something else?Is the engine brand new or recently new but performs as it is supposed to perform?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM

Engine was just freshened up. Haven't had it on the track yet. I got the short block back and I finished the assembling. Was just going for the initial timing.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:22 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

It would surely buck the starter at 47?. Somethings out with the reading, if true TDC has been verified get another light, is this a dial back light?

also describe the ignition system components for inquiring minds,,,
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 PM

I had it at 41 one time last year and it would barely turn over. On another forum a guy suggested that the cam needs to be 4 to 8* advanced due to the stroke of my crank (3.875) to get the cam to 105 lsa where it needs to be. Ignition is msd 6aln box with msd blaster high vibration coil and msd billet dist. I think 8551 but do t remember for sure.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM

Also it's a digital light. Not dial back.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:13 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Dont get ahead of anything, take the light to a buds and verify the thing is OK with his, you either believe the ignition timing is wrong like mechanical is not actually locked out or something or verify the light. check the light first.

what is this about cam timing or ignition timing? if the thing is reading 47 then verify TDC which you have done and then check the light, then you will know you are actually at 47, who cares about the cam.

What RPM is the 47 showing at?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 PM

It's definitely not at 47* like the light says. When I bring it to tdc on #1 and the light says 47*, I pull the cap of the dist and the #1 plug wire it a little retarded in relation to the rotor. So it's actual like maybe -5* or so. It's saying 47* at any rpm(dist is locked out)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 AM

Last photo:

X2 on Custom10's response.

The cam timing / degreeing will affect you tune and timing some, but it will not be off by say 20 or so degrees. As mentioned, your 47 degree number definitely appears to be erroneous.

Check your light. Are there any other issues with how this runs, like high coolant temp, sluggish on acceleration, or anything else? You mentioned you want to race it this weekend, is this a street legal? Have you driven it?

Good luck - Jim
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 AM

also,have you raced it before? Did you actually advance the cam 8?The cam timing has nothing to do with ignition as already mentioned,other than for final tuning.
I would like to see the parts recipe including cam card if possible.You should have a timing tape on the balancer
Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 AM

It's not street legal. It's in an outlaw dirt modified. I haven't ran the car yet this year and it sounds great in the garage but of course there's no load on it there. I had this same exact motor last year and its a beast. I don't know if it was advanced 8* or not. The engine builder pulled it apart and did the bottom end. Long story short I won't be going back to him due to several issues with him. I bought the motor already built and ready to drop in last year. I pulled a bonehead move and didnt put my cam card in safe keeping. But I did right down the 106lsa. 260 duration at .050 and .588 lift on both sides. It's a red line roller cam. I have timing tape,0-50* on the balancer as well. I'm going to buy a new timing light in the morning to check it. I don't have anyone around that has one to borrow. I appreciate all the info so far!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM

I didn't see anyone mention it so thought I would add that msd ignitions don't like some timing lights. Have you used that ignition and timing light together before. If not try a non dial back non digital (ie old induction type ) the multi sparks at lower rpm might be fooling the light
The Following User Says Thank You to bb489 For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 PM

bb489,good post.
Racerman,you need to step up and learn a little about your engines.Any light car with 400 cubes is going to be a blast to drive. It will be even more fun when its faster or easier to drive. Sounds like a mild cam for racing,the other information will help,,,and rule book information might help also.

good luck with the race,post a video too...
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM

I did use this same exact light last year. Step up??? I'm used to buying a brand new (4500$) engine when my old one was tired. They were sealed from gm so I couldn't get in them if I wanted too. Last year I bought a brand new engine and won 4 features and 6 2nd place finishes. Now this year I let a friend of a friend redo it and it may be wrong. Ill pull it out and send it to a great builder if my new timing light shows the same issues. If not ill be ready to roll. I thought the cam was a little small as well but the motor dynoed at 698hp and 634tq. Rules are simple. No alum blocks. No dry sumps. No titanium and only one 4bbl carb. No turbos or anything. Ill post some in car cam if the engine is rig and the rain holds off this weekend.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.