timing/low speed stalling chevy 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 05:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

timing/low speed stalling chevy 350

looked around and cant find any threads about my exact problem.

'67 camaro, zz4 350 bought 3 yrs ago- short blk- from summit, old dist with protonics elec ign... that pertinents anyway ... problem wasnt running, but stalling at low speeds/rpm. ran and idled great and smooth, but go to drive it and it stalls. if you hammer down and buzz thru the gears, goes great, and runs smooth at constant speed. thought timing or running lean could cause low speed/rpm stalls so double checked metering block mix screws- set good- when went to check timing, timing mark running about 11:30/12:00, but my timing tab has 0/tdc around 2:30. when i try to approach that by turning dist, idle drops, timing skips around for cpl secs and car dies- even if try to balance idle by turning up idle on carb while turning dist. Thought might be a tooth off so pulled dist and reset, but to my surprise, timing is still in exact same spot after?! dist is pointing to #1 at tdc, firing/wire order double checked. is it the cam/timing chain thats off? is my motor tdc supposed to be at 12:00 not where my marks are? timing cover, balancer, timing mark tabs all from older 350 (maybe 70's?). its difficult to check exact tdc so far bc for some reason balancer center nut will turn and balancer/pistons/etc dont? another of lifes mysterys. Please help. been building this car 5+ years and time to drive it more, work on it less i was hoping! Thanks!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I would first make shure you establish true piston TDC in relation to your balancer. Piston stops are available that screw into the spark plug hole which will allow you to obtain piston TDC.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Last photo:

It's does sound like timing but did u also check the accelerator pump on the carb?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 PM

accelerator pump is in good working order. its a brand new holley street avenger- used less than 100 miles- but in my world that has also been like 3 years. guess i could double check I am going to get the piston stop tool and go about this systematically. i talked to my uncle who owns a shop and he said that he could take it in and get it figured for me, but i dont want to give up- i want to figure this thing out. does make me feel a little better i didnt get 50 responses of the same thing "you dummy, its this___" ... makes me think you all might be a fuzz stumped like me
-lisa
Old 06-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Well- I did get it partially figured for anyone who might find this with a similar problem. always nice to have a solution to the mystery.

I bought and used a piston stop tool- very handy and cleared up any question that things were off. also replaced anything else that could be causing probs that i overlooked- cap, rotor, wires, plugs. after using piston stop ,determined timing tab just wrong for my applc obviously... (no thanks to summit who sold me the zz4 and said that i had the correct one. i would really question and technical advice from these guys- even for their own products. i should have called GM instead). my new TDC ended up about 2" from old mark. bought and installed new timing tape. Put it all bk together and it started right up- now set to initial timing at 12btdc. It was late so didnt get a test drive in, but im hoping low speed stalling got fixed in the mix...

if not... any ideas for causes of low rpm stalling? checked for vac leaks already...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.