timing set replacement on 454 bbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

timing set replacement on 454 bbc

so i recently chenged the timing set on my 454 to a double roller set. the old cam gear was so worn that it had jumped time. when i insatlled the cam gear i could only get it to go on to the cam with the timing dot in the 12 o'clock position due to the position of the a;ignment dowel on the cam. and i know that its supposed to be in the 6 o'clock posion in order to line up with the mark on the crank gear which is at the 12 o'clock position. i was just wondering if this means that my cam was 180 degrees off because i had cranked the engine with #one plug out till i heard compression then turned it to zero with a wrench. but when i took off the timing cover the timing marks were in the right positions but since it jumped the cam was a tooth or so off. so i dont really understand why i couldnt put the new cam gear on in the 6 o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock. any suggestions are appreciated thanks for reading

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

Cam turns 1/2 engine speed. Cam can be installed at 12 or 6 as long as the timing dots are in a straight line with crank dot. it doesn't matter.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcguy140
so i recently chenged the timing set on my 454 to a double roller set. the old cam gear was so worn that it had jumped time. when i insatlled the cam gear i could only get it to go on to the cam with the timing dot in the 12 o'clock position due to the position of the a;ignment dowel on the cam. and i know that its supposed to be in the 6 o'clock posion in order to line up with the mark on the crank gear which is at the 12 o'clock position. i was just wondering if this means that my cam was 180 degrees off because i had cranked the engine with #one plug out till i heard compression then turned it to zero with a wrench. but when i took off the timing cover the timing marks were in the right positions but since it jumped the cam was a tooth or so off. so i dont really understand why i couldnt put the new cam gear on in the 6 o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock. any suggestions are appreciated thanks for reading
The only reason the cam gear is installed w/the timing dot @ 6 o'clock and the crank gear @ 12 o'clock is simply a matter of being able to easily tell that the marks are in alignment.

If you installed the cam gear dot @ 12 o'clock w/the crank gear dot also at 12 o'clock- as long as the dots were in exact alignment- there is nothing wrong if when you turn the crank another 360ļ that the dots align.

It is much easier to use the cam gear for reference and turn the camshaft until the cam gear dot is at 6 o'clock before installing the timing set, and if this ever comes up again I'd suggest you do it this way- it is a LOT easier to tell if it's in alignment that way.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 PM

thanks guys thats what id thought cause the engine runs normally. i just wasnt sure if i did something wrong but i was vrry careful to take a straight edge to find out if everything was properly aligned. i appreciate the help

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.