Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Timing / Starter?? issues
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

You need a fresh rebuilt starter with new cables. When the armature (windings) in a starter gets hot, the resistance increases and it takes more battery power to turn it. . If the starter commutator (where the brushes wear) is worn out, the temperature and resistance of the starter armature becomes critical.

What is the displacement and compression ratio of the engine? Many modern batteries are not powerful enough to start our old high compression, large displacement engines of the 1960s, especially if they have a radical, long duration camshaft with a lot of initial timing advance. . In the mid-1990s, I had difficulty finding a battery that would start my 455 Pontiac engine with 12:1 static compression ratio. I tried those New Castle repro AC Delco DC12 tar-top batteries. After the second AC Delco DC12 battery failed, New Castle Battery Co. told me their repro AC Delco DC12 tar--top battery would not start a 455 Pontiac engine but two or three times on a hot day. EPA compliant batteries have antimony plates and do not use lead plates anymore. I installed an Interstate 1100 CCA battery that fit the battery tray, and did not have any further problems.

I always keep a Deltran 800ma water proof battery charger (or equal) on my battery 24/7. especially if i was not going to drive the street machine for a few days. You should especially use one of those if it is a modern car with all the sensors, alarms, clocks, relays, computers, amps, bells and whistles that can have up to a 50 ma constant parasitic discharge when the engine is not running. . Your battery will last twice as long.

Last edited by MouseFink; 12-04-2012 at 04:10 PM.