Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Timing / Starter?? issues
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by the82elco View Post
Ok i'm having problems with my car starting. It fires right up when its cold but when its hot it cranks over real slow like the battery is dead & ill have to wait a few mins to start it back up. (WHAT COULD IT BE)

(I improved my grounds)

(wrapped my starter solenoid)
It could be a lot of things. Some common problems are bad grounds, bad battery cables- especially if they have replacement terminals on them. These can look and feel tight, yet have a ton of resistance that only rears its ugly head when there's a higher draw on them. If the terminals feel hot after a hot restart, that's a good indicator.

The starter solenoid can get worn internally after a while. This can be remedied by taking the solenoid apart and swapping the terminal lugs. More on renewing the solenoid can be seen here.

A remote solenoid may help. Info on that and where the following was taken is here:

Quote:
The wiring has to be in good condition or nothing will help. That means no frayed wiring, no wires of insufficient size, no parts store clamp-on replacement battery terminals (the #1 cause of "bad starters").

Throughout the electrical system there needs to be tight connections, a properly working charging system including the battery, and a good starting system. Grounds have to have direct contact with bare metal and be of a sufficient gauge for the job.

If the problem remains even after the remote Ford relay/solenoid is installed, a starter heat shield may help. Another option is a "permanent magnet" starter. They're less inclined to suffer from heat soak. Then there's the heavy duty "high torque" mini starters- also permanent magnet type starters.

If the initial timing is advanced far enough, the engine will turn over slowly when it's hot regardless of what is done. This often happens when there is a big cam that needs a lot of initial advance or needs the timing locked at full advance.

The solution for this is to use a remote ignition interrupter switch. Generally the switch is a momentary on-type switch that allows the engine to be turned over by the starter, without the ignition being armed. Once the engine is spinning over, the switch is released to energize the ignition, and the engine fires up.