Timing tips - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Timing tips

11 to 1 383 292hyd cam msd probillet dist an 6al im running 12degree initial an 36 total all in at 3000 rpm, im not using my vac advance cause my predator carb hasnt a vac port for it, would it benefit me to use a vac advance? i just play at the track with it where it never sees low rpms anyway

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I wouldn't bother with vacuum advance on something like what you're using that for anyway,
Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

That looks good and I do not think vac advance would be any benefit, might want to play with the springs on the curve, and have that 36 degrees all in at 2500, the lightest ones will do it, MSD curve kit a nice handy little item comes with 3 sets of springs, one throw away set and the other two you can mix and match, The kit also has the stop bushing for the counter weights.. here is the kit # if you have not seen it before.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8464/

.....predator ......... nice love the name like the carb.. .
Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 AM

When you say "it never sees any any low rpms" do you mean you have a standard shift. or a trans brake automatic. or leave in the stall of the converter. 12* initial is low if you are stomping on it from an idle. You have 24* mechanical, thats alot. Use the black bushing which is 18* mechanical advance and get that initial timing up with an automatic.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM

1958 Olds 371

I have a 1958 Olds with a 371 2 barrel. When I got it it had a dead cylinder, low on oil, and vacuum problems. I fixed most of that, but it still wants to struggle when sitting still and in gear. In park or neutral, it almost feels and sounds normal, but the extra load makes it shake when you put it in drive. When I fixed the dead cylinder (plug wire), I thought it might shape up. It obviously helped a lot, but I am still looking for more. I am not a mechanic, and I'm finding it hard to find too many guys in my area that are interested in doing much looking at it. I actually had a couple of locals do a little tweaking, and neither found the plug wire, so as I said, I don't think their "hearts" were in it.
My question is, I was reading an older post on here about timing, vacuum advance, ported vacuum, and manifold vacuum. The guy that had this before me did some jerry-rigging on a lot of stuff, and the current set-up uses ported vacuum. However, I discovered yesterday that the old vacuum advance can is bad anyway, and have ordered a replacement. I would like some more expert opinions on the subject of getting this correct. I plan on trying to set the timing again, vacuum advance disconnected, and then reconnecting it to the best source. Some of the guys said that manifold vacuum really gave them a boost, but I would like to hear some more about it. I realize there could be more issues, such as compression, rings, valve issues etc., but I would like to at least give it the benefit of the doubt and do what I can first to see if I could get it to be a daily driver.
Thanks to anyone who might have an idea or two.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathaveigotinto
11 to 1 383 292hyd cam msd probillet dist an 6al im running 12degree initial an 36 total all in at 3000 rpm, im not using my vac advance cause my predator carb hasnt a vac port for it, would it benefit me to use a vac advance? i just play at the track with it where it never sees low rpms anyway

With the big 292H cam try locked out timing. The low rpm throttle response and idle quality and spark plug life will be much better.
The big 292 magnum needs a lot of timing at idle. Much more than 12deg.

Short limited 10deg mech adv curve ....26 initial at idle 36 at full advance or just lock it out.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:30 PM

Ya its a manual trans thanks for the replies
Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
With the big 292H cam try locked out timing. The low rpm throttle response and idle quality and spark plug life will be much better.
The big 292 magnum needs a lot of timing at idle. Much more than 12deg.

Short limited 10deg mech adv curve ....26 initial at idle 36 at full advance or just lock it out.
F-BIRD'88, I'm running the same cam in my nova. I drive the car on the street and I need it to start decent when hot. I'm going to try the 26/36 tomorrow, right now I'm using the 18 degree bushing and it isn't quite right. Locked timing might be the way to go huh? Could I just use a MSD retard box for start up? I'm going to be using one anyway. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kficiur
F-BIRD'88, I'm running the same cam in my nova. I drive the car on the street and I need it to start decent when hot. I'm going to try the 26/36 tomorrow, right now I'm using the 18 degree bushing and it isn't quite right. Locked timing might be the way to go huh? Could I just use a MSD retard box for start up? I'm going to be using one anyway. Thanks for the info.
Ive a similar setup and used F-Birds advice in the past. I have an MSD retard box that works great. I had issues of hard starts even with the retard which turned out to be an out of phase rotor why I corrected by adjusting the vac advance arm. After that the retard works great even when hot
Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Use a ignition power interupt switch to aid hot starting with locked out timing/ or high initial base timing. Get a heat shield or heat wrap for the starter motor. Don't forget the OEM rear starter support bracket/brace. Its required.
If your starter motor is already cooked by the hot exhaust headers, replace it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.