Timing woes on SBC 350 with bigger cam. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Timing woes on SBC 350 with bigger cam.

Ok so basically i wan't to set the timing on the 350 i have. I know how to adjust the timing i just dont know at what rpm should i adjust it at. The block i am using is a 350 SBC Block #14093638 350 87-95 from a earlie 90's truck i think. I swapped a bigger cam in it and dont really know what to set the distributer at. This is the information i have about the new and old cam.
New Cam Intake .300 Exhaust.300
Old Cam Intake .251 Exhaust .265
The engine is running now and seems pretty good with the newer cam and the timing is set at +8 degree advanced at about 850-900 rpm is this correct and if not any ideas about what would be best for this specific situation any information is appreciated.

Thanks...

Advertisement

Last edited by Brawler; 09-07-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Static timing is not near so important as total timing and the RPM at which it is all in. Perhaps your cam manufacturer can provide a starting point as to a recommendation for this. Are you using a distributor with mechanical advance? If so, a recurve kit with various weights and springs should be purchased. From there, in lieu of a dyno, ETs or even SOTP can be your guide. You want total advance in much earlier than a stock distributor's set-up. Depending, you may want to eliminate the vacuum advance altogether, if so equipped. With a timing light, you should be able to see when total timing is all in and how much total advance there is. Knowing basically nothing of your combination, start with a total advance of 32 degrees and play from there. Sometimes more advance can help in the low and mid ranges but hurt you at higher RPMs. Again, there are so many variables depending on your package and it's end use.
As a starting point, advance timing until spark knock occurs, then retard it slightly. Initial timing is irrelevant in a performance engine, as long as the engine turns over well when restarting hot. In extreme cases, even this can be dealt with by having a separate switch to activate the ignition once the engine is spinning. This shouldn't be necessary in a well tuned street engine though.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks for a quick reply but i am a n00b to this whole thing and dont understand what you mean by total advance i only knew of turning the distributer wich is HEI on this motor i put the cam in and did all lash everything is pretty smooth.
i dont know much about the cam expect for what iv'e posted.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawler
Ok so basically i wan't to set the timing on the 350 i have. I know how to adjust the timing i just dont know at what rpm should i adjust it at. The block i am using is a 350 SBC Block #14093638 350 87-95 from a earlie 90's truck i think. I swapped a bigger cam in it and dont really know what to set the distributer at. This is the information i have about the new and old cam.
New Cam Intake .300 Exhaust.300
Old Cam Intake .251 Exhaust .265
The engine is running now and seems pretty good with the newer cam and the timing is set at +8 degree advanced at about 850-900 rpm is this correct and if not any ideas about what would be best for this specific situation any information is appreciated.

Thanks...
What about the rest of the engine and what is it in, if originally an 87-95 truck motor it was a computer controlled TBI injection system so knowing what it is now is really important because if the computer is still driving things what you need to do is different from if this is some modification using a carb.

Bogie
Old 09-07-2007, 03:49 PM

sorry abou that it is in a 1980 camaro fuel injection is all gone i put an carter carb 600/650, edlebrock preformer intake manifold, holly fuel pump 0-3000, cam, lifters and a hypertec electronic ingnition the rest is stock. I just want a rough idea of where i might want it set up anything is better than me just playing around.

Last edited by Brawler; 09-07-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:33 PM

Timing woes

For someone to say "set your initial timing at X degrees and it'll run great" they'd have to know your distributor curve etc. Not knowing that, here's how I would proceed, set your initial advance so that your total advance is in the neighborhood of 32 to 38 degrees. We can argue all day about which number is the best, but we don't know that without putting the car on a dyno or running at the track etc. Just for the sake of discussion let's say we want 35 degrees total advance. I would buy an adjustable timing light and set the dial at 35. Then I would disconnect any vacuum advance from the distributor and plug the hose. Rev the engine until the timing stops advancing, hopefully under 3500 rpm so you don't wake the neighbors. If the timing mark on the engine isn't aligned with 0 degrees on the engine balancer adjust the distributor so it does. I would let the engine idle down before I moved the distributor, then rev it up and see where the mark lines up. Repeat as needed until your total advance is 35 degrees. (Total advance for our purposes is initial advance plus mechanical advance. Disregard vacuum advance for now.) When that's done read your timing mark at 800 rpm and that's your initial timing setting. Then reconnect the vacuum advance, if you have one, and make your final idle adjustments. We'll say the initial timing is 12 degrees BTDC, if you want to see if your car performs better with 32 degrees total advance retard the initial setting 3 degrees and give it a try. Repeat as needed until your car gives you the best performance.
There's lots of ways to skin a cat, but that's how I'd do it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.