timming the beast - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2003, 01:39 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post timming the beast

I gotta a brain question for someone. I been using a Accel Dist. for about a year now and have started to experience problems with the timming weights sticking. Of course when the mouse motor gets revved up the weights swing outward and start to advance timming as usuall. The problem comes in when returning to idle the weights will stick and cause a high idle for sometime. And they won't swing out untill a fiarly high RPM making the car run badly untill rpm comes up high enought to pull good vacuum on the canistor to achieve the neccesary timming upon high load situations. The weights feel very smooth and very free to move on their pins. The springs also feel as they should while pulling them by hand. I've replaced the springs and weights with a known good pair and cleaned the inside of the dist. with denatured alcohol well twice now and can't come up with a reasonable solution to this very annoying problem. Any idea's are well appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

Is the dist. new or used? It could be the pins that the weights set on (and the holes in the weights) are worn and when they get out they are "catching" in the wear. They would seem normal when checking by hand. It's worth a disassembly to check I've run into it in the past.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:56 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I also had this problem. As described by woodz428.
I lapped the weights on an oil stone because of burrs on them and weren't very flat. When that was done they worked great. Before I ever put on new weights I lap them first just to be safe.
Check the pins that the springs attach to also.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Thanx for the input. I went ahead and tore it down agian. The dist. is in fact new a year ago. Unless Summit sold me a used one!. Anyway, I found nothing in the way of wear at the pins. In fact, the plastic bushings Accell asks you to use barely show any use. I made some timming tape and had a buddy record the RPM's for me. When they works they come in at 1000 and are all done by 2600. When they don't work the are stuck at full advance at idle holding the idle at 1200, then if I idle down the throttle screw than they come together at 1000 and the car will stall. Then won't come back in untill 2000 and are all done by 2600. Not much advance there. It's either all or nothing. I'm real close to pitching the whole stupid thing in favor of a electronic timming computer. Any one ever messed around with these before?.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:21 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`ve ran into this problem with HEI`s, and only thing I ever did was sripped it all the way down, polished the whole advance the best I could, then lightly used white lube in certain spots, but none in which it could cause it to stick. I dunno if it will help you any, but it worked for me.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:40 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

After you gave the specs for the advance it sounds about right. But, your comments about the backing up of the idle screw, makes me wonder if you aren't having a carb problem instead. If it dies when you drop the idle it will die because of the lack of throttle opening.If the throttle hangs up, it won't let the advance retract and you could be actually be seeing the result ( of the hanging throttle) instead of the cause. If you have a vacuum secondary , does this happen always or after you get the secondaries to kick in. You might spend a little time checking that out, I had a secondary stick partially open when I hadn't used it for awhile and the shaft was sticky. Caused a few heart pumping episodes.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Thanks forthe advice. Sometimes it's real easy to over look the simple stuff when your looking for a major problem. I found a slight bur on the wieghts from the stamping process on the trialing edge. I think thats what was the biggest problem was. I polished with finr sand paper and a file to round the edge and rebalanced the wieghts to a 1/4 gram. seems to hve done the trick.

Woods,

I think the sticking wieghts had been going on for some time now just not near as exaggerated. Just hadden't noticed because I'm still in the fine tuning process of this motor and apparently just changed other settings to compesate for it. So your right, I had the screw to far closed and that was upsetting the timming curve. Of course, too far open would upest the idle mix making me believe I had gone to far with the adjustment's on the distributer.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.