Tinting epoxy? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 08:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tinting epoxy?

I'm using PPG HPE400 epoxy primer ( see, sometimes we listen ) , brushing it on to the repaired areas as I go.
Now I ended up with the white activator (401?) so the result is grey, it was all I could find.

I would love to have a black primer (the car is black).
Can I tint the epoxy? The sheet makes no mention. The sheet for DLP says explicitly not to tint, I don't know how similar they are.

If I don't stir the solids in the activator it comes out darker, are the solids integral to the cure or composition? Seems to harden the same?

Thanks
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Rather than trying to tint the epoxy get a quart of sealer number 7 shade (it's black) and seal the epoxy instead. I wouldn't recommend trying to topcoat over epoxy primer as It's use isn't designed for that purpose. Check your manufacturers spec sheet.

As for mixing the epoxy throughly, yes. All ingredients should be throughly mixed and distributed before applying or your going to have adhesion problems if fail to do so.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 AM
quadrajunk a name earned

Last photo:

I haven't seen epoxy primer in stores. Where can I buy it?

bt
Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertracker

bt
Southern Polyurethanes even has a black epoxy, the products are awesome but you generally have to order from SPI. They will tell you if there's a local distributor and won't step on the distributor's toes. Barry K (SPI's owner) is a member on here. Once you use his products, nothing else will suffice.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertracker

bt
I went to a local body shop that has done work for me and they ordered it from their jobber. We had to go thru a few iterations before I got this, so it seems to be on the wane.

I've now used it to repair those crappy chrome-on-alloy GM rims, sticks like mad, no leaks.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperotti
Rather than trying to tint the epoxy get a quart of sealer number 7 shade (it's black) and seal the epoxy instead. I wouldn't recommend trying to topcoat over epoxy primer as It's use isn't designed for that purpose. Check your manufacturers spec sheet.

As for mixing the epoxy throughly, yes. All ingredients should be throughly mixed and distributed before applying or your going to have adhesion problems if fail to do so.
Aren't some epoxies recommended as sealers?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveismissing
Aren't some epoxies recommended as sealers?
At a reduced mix, yes, by the manufacturer. However, Some paints aren't recommended to be applied over epoxy primer by the respective manufacturer of the paint. Therefore, you're taking a risk by not checking the paint manufacturers tech sheet. Just because the epoxy manufacturer makes a recommendation doesn't mean it will work for all paints. That's the main reason I don't use or recommend it as such and advise others to exercise caution when doing so.

Doe's that explaination clarify it for you?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperotti
At a reduced mix, yes, by the manufacturer. However, Some paints aren't recommended to be applied over epoxy primer by the respective manufacturer of the paint. Therefore, you're taking a risk by not checking the paint manufacturers tech sheet. Just because the epoxy manufacturer makes a recommendation doesn't mean it will work for all paints. That's the main reason I don't use or recommend it as such and advise others to exercise caution when doing so.

Doe's that explaination clarify it for you?
I'm curious to learn about these products which shouldn't be applied over epoxy. Are they waterborne? lacquer? Can you provide links to some tech sheets that support your assertion?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Ive been using SPi epoxy for a few years now and not only can it be used as a sealer but IMO its the best sealer...
Some epoxies dry very hard and slick so they make a poor surface for paint to stick to. So its the epoxy not the paint thats the problem...I'll never use any other epoxy primer or sealer again...It really is the best out there...and its affordable too.but what makes Spi head and shoulders above the rest is,if you ever have any questions just call the hotline,ANY questions will be answeard .even stupid one's, like the ones I ask...In all my years I've never seen anything like it....SPI gets a rating of all 10's across the board....I cant say that about ANY other company in this business..
THIS epoxy can be used under ANY brand or type of paint.....as far as I know.
All the ones that matter anyway...
Old 11-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Last photo:

Ditto what DBM has said.

Vince
Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i'm still waiting to hear what wont stick to epoxy.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I have a theory.....Everyone has seen those Dodge trucks peeling away.
I've done a bunch of them by simply by carefully scraping the paint off with a razor (where the paint was still on ,the epoxy was shinny underneath)Then I just sanded the old epoxy with 320 da... A little Spi epoxy as a sealer and paint...they've held up fine for years...I think the cause wasnt the paint or the epoxy...just that the epoxy sat to long at the factory (like over the weekend) and got to hard and slick for the paint to stick....All epoxy primers are definitely not equal...Way back twenty yrs or so when we were using PPG their epoxy did the same thing, slick and shinny but we never tried to use it as a sealer ...That stuff was hard to sand with 80 grit,nothing stuck to that unless it was sanded...
Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 PM

i to have done lots of the Dodge vehicles with there gummy or crappy Epoxy.

your theory may somewhat be close

but SHINE is still waiting
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

Off hand right now I don't have those links available on this computer as it's new. When checking tech sheets to some products that my local jobbers offered me to try there were a few that weren't to my standard for the job I wanted them to perform and didn't meet the requirements that the jobbers were boosting about. Those are the exact reasons I don't purchase anything without looking up the manufacturers tech sheets. I've been burnt too many times in the past.

That's why I always recommend looking up the tech sheets before using a product. I can't believe how many people fail to do this in this day and age when the information is so easily available to them.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that, in all likelihood, a material that is not compatible with an epoxy substrate is one that is best avoided.

For me, a topcoat that explicitly states it is not compatible with epoxy makes about as much sense as a primer that is not compatible with body filler.

I now utilize epoxy primer extensively on all my top-shelf work , as its attributes are many, and shortcomings few. I have yet to have a problem, in over five years of extensive epoxy primer use, that can be directly attributed to its proper application.

Just my 2 cents.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.