Tiny pinholes in sheetmetal welds - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2012, 06:50 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,174
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,319
Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Well hold on here Henry, you have welds to make all over the car, like that one with the patches all over you posted a while ago. You don't have to weld one patch in all at once. You put a few on the patch at the door, then you go around to the one on the quarter and do some cutting, then go back and weld a few on the door, then back to the quarter, make up your patch then go back to the door and make a few more welds. Then go back to the quarter and tack it in, then move to the one on the rear body, cut the piece out then move back and weld a few more on the door, then to the quarter and weld a few there, then back to the rear body. Fit the piece in, then go back and finish the door patch, and a few more welds on the quarter patch then a few on the rear body patch.....and on and on doing this around the car. Same time, maybe even better time because you have less warpage on ALL the patches which requires less finish work.

If you don't have a bunch of patches, you still have a bunch of work on that car or another one. Weld a few tacks and move onto something else then come back and weld a few and move onto something else.

Brian

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Old Fool's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: spokane,wa.
Posts: 1,347
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 8
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I never heard of a cheater lens..zI'll be looking into one of those. Its amazing all the tips one can learn from all the others here..35yrsat it and still learning something new every day, theres not many jobs like that....
http://www.welders-direct.com/mm5/me...Code=LNS-MXXXX

I buy mine at the local welding supply for less than $4 ea. I use the plastic ones, they are cheaper but scratch easier. reason I like them is they are lighter weight and anything to keep the hood lighter is a benefit imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,174
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,319
Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
My welding helmet doesn't have a standard size lens, it's much bigger so those won't. Accustrike helmets But maybe if I contact people who make mine.......just did, I'll wait and see. In the mean time I use a pair of reading glasses.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 04:27 AM
deadbodyman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: augusta,ga.
Age: 54
Posts: 6,205
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanks: 28
Thanked 466 Times in 395 Posts
I have three pair of reading glasses at the shop and I can never find a pair when I need them...I should probably get three more..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Old Fool's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: spokane,wa.
Posts: 1,347
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 8
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
My welding helmet doesn't have a standard size lens, it's much bigger so those won't. Accustrike helmets But maybe if I contact people who make mine.......just did, I'll wait and see. In the mean time I use a pair of reading glasses.

Brian
Brian, here is one option, it will reduce the viewing area a bit but will still give a large magnified area. Only option I could find to fit your helmet

http://www.esafetysupplies.com/Radno...fier-Lens.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,174
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,319
Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Wow, now all I need to do is figure out what magnification. Does it end up being about the same as the magnifying eye glass strength that works for the lens? Because I had a hell of a time picking out the glasses I have. There is a very wide range of powers and from one to the next they were very difficult to pick out.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 2,067
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 574
Thanked 231 Times in 210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Well hold on here Henry, you have welds to make all over the car, like that one with the patches all over you posted a while ago. You don't have to weld one patch in all at once. You put a few on the patch at the door, then you go around to the one on the quarter and do some cutting, then go back and weld a few on the door, then back to the quarter, make up your patch then go back to the door and make a few more welds. Then go back to the quarter and tack it in, then move to the one on the rear body, cut the piece out then move back and weld a few more on the door, then to the quarter and weld a few there, then back to the rear body. Fit the piece in, then go back and finish the door patch, and a few more welds on the quarter patch then a few on the rear body patch.....and on and on doing this around the car. Same time, maybe even better time because you have less warpage on ALL the patches which requires less finish work.

If you don't have a bunch of patches, you still have a bunch of work on that car or another one. Weld a few tacks and move onto something else then come back and weld a few and move onto something else.

Brian
warpage is never really an issue for me anyways. At a job I welcome a tiny amount of SHRINKING which makes the job easier in mud. I really don't mind it. Warpage is another story. I was speaking about doing multiple passes. I see guys on youtube make a gazillion passes welding and then they pat themselves on the back for how it looks when grounded down. Bosses want a solid repair on one weld pass. That's one of the shortcuts I've learned to keep bosses happy...get it done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,174
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,319
Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
warpage is never really an issue for me anyways. At a job I welcome a tiny amount of SHRINKING which makes the job easier in mud. I really don't mind it. Warpage is another story. I was speaking about doing multiple passes. I see guys on youtube make a gazillion passes welding and then they pat themselves on the back for how it looks when grounded down. Bosses want a solid repair on one weld pass. That's one of the shortcuts I've learned to keep bosses happy...get it done!

I had one boss who would micro manage the techs that much, I was the second longest lasting tech of that 5 months I lasted. I watched two guys come in and last one day! Anyone watching what you do that close and not the overall work needs a life.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:35 AM
swvalcon's Avatar
Member
 

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: mn
Age: 64
Posts: 1,016
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Brain] I agree with you one hundred %. What really gets me is most of them have no idea how to do the work but want to sit and tell you how it should be done becuase they took a course somewhere and thats what the instructor who also can't do the work told them is the way it needs to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,174
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,319
Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swvalcon
Brain] I agree with you one hundred %. What really gets me is most of them have no idea how to do the work but want to sit and tell you how it should be done becuase they took a course somewhere and thats what the instructor who also can't do the work told them is the way it needs to be done.
I don't have a problem listening to someone who has never done it, often it the thoughts of someone who stands back and looks is just as valuable as those who have their hands on it. And courses can teach you a LOT, I have nothing against those guys, as long as they aren't blowing wind. You know it when they open their mouth, you aren't dumb. If they have something to offer, use it, if not don't.


The guy I worked for was a BRILLIANT mind. He wasn't a great bodyman per-say, but he had a BRILLIANT thinking mind about how to get things done. I learned a lot from him, I learned the RIGHT way to use a few of the tools I had owned for years and thought I knew their uses and how to use them. I was blown away at what he taught me. This is why I put up with him so long. But he honestly would come up to you and hand you a screw driver when you were removing something telling you this was a better tool, he was a NUT JOB. I wish I could have stayed working there, he later called me up after I left and offered me more money that the job I left him for, but I just couldn't go back to working there the whole place, his wife ran the office, his kid "lived" in the shop, it was a friggin NUT HOUSE. But he as an Einstein like character who invented tools, he REALLY was a brilliant mind. He was just in your space WAY too much.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 10:29 AM
put up or shut up
 

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope, Ca
Posts: 2,067
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 574
Thanked 231 Times in 210 Posts
my boss knows everything yet knows nothing. Talk is cheap.

Last edited by tech69; 06-11-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,174
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,319
Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
It's funny often that guy who is a really good bodyman, you can't learn anything from him because he can't teach you anything. He just "makes it happen", doesn't know why, he can't explain it, has no intellect to explain it, he just does it. While many times a guy who stands back and watches can teach you something.

That guy I am talking about whom I worked for, the first door skin I did there using not only no bondo around the edges like he would do every time, but literally not even needing primer, it was ready to seal and shoot it. He was blown away, you would think I bent the steel with my mind! He couldn't do that to save his soul, so does that mean he had nothing to offer? Not on your life, he taught me a lot.

I will never forget the first time I went to a paint school. I had been painting for a number of years, had stuff in magazines and the main area at the Grand Nationals, thought I knew it all. I was sitting there in this class and was blown away! Nearly every hour or so of that three day course I was reminded of some job that I had something happen and NOW it was explained.

I simply take what I hear from anyone, unless they have proven to me that they know nothing, I am going to listen to them. And don't know everything, I know that. But I do know enough to know if a guy is making any sense.

It's like when my son broke his leg a few months ago. His surgeon a specialist, a well known specialist explained the procedure to me. One of the things he explained was how the rods he put in my sons leg required some equipment that the hospital rents. The rental of this equipment comes with a technician from the company. This technician is in surgery room garb, holding a laser pointer during the surgery! He points at the tools with an explanation of use for the surgeon! This guy isn't a doctor, and sure as hell not a surgeon but he is telling the surgeon how to do his job!

I am sorry, what I do isn't that damn technical or untouchable by the common man, so I am sure as heck going to listen to him when he speaks.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 AM
OneMoreTime's Avatar
Hotrodders.com moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Age: 69
Posts: 7,361
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 47
Thanked 149 Times in 141 Posts
one of the things one learns on sheet metal welding is how to do what we call back stepping your welds..it is a way where we start the arc about an inch from the tack and weld back toward the tack..then go somewhere else on the panel and do the same thing until you have the panel welded complete..On structural steel I can start a weld and run to the end just fine but that stuff is an inch or more thick and does not warp like 20 gauge does...

Sam
__________________
I have tried most all of it and now do what is known to work..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2012, 01:18 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,174
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,319
Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
one of the things one learns on sheet metal welding is how to do what we call back stepping your welds..it is a way where we start the arc about an inch from the tack and weld back toward the tack..then go somewhere else on the panel and do the same thing until you have the panel welded complete..On structural steel I can start a weld and run to the end just fine but that stuff is an inch or more thick and does not warp like 20 gauge does...

Sam
I once saw a show on the building of the new SF bay bridge (not done yet) and they showed the guys welding some pillars that support the whole thing. These pieces are probably two inches thick, 36 or so inches in diameter. They put a friggin beveled edge just like we would a piece of 1/8" frame. This bevel was about two inches as one would imagine. Welder and amps must be crazy! But they laid bead after bead, beads about a half inch wide one on top of another until that V was filled. And the bead went all the way around, one shot. It was damn interesting seeing it.

I just did a quick look at Youtube and found this one, it doesn't have the exact thing I saw but some wild stuff! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIEVAOYRoSs

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Old Fool's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: spokane,wa.
Posts: 1,347
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 8
Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Wow, now all I need to do is figure out what magnification. Does it end up being about the same as the magnifying eye glass strength that works for the lens? Because I had a hell of a time picking out the glasses I have. There is a very wide range of powers and from one to the next they were very difficult to pick out.

Brian
Pick a power that your reading glasses are to start with.

I like to be up close and personal when I tig or mig so I went with one strength stronger .

The closer you get to what you are looking at the higher the diopter needs to be.

Hey @ $4 a piece for the cheater lens, you can try a couple strengths to see what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tiny tiny solvent pop? brimcp99 Body - Exterior 25 05-03-2011 07:03 AM
pinholes in top of piston Blownchevelle68 Engine 5 03-13-2011 05:48 AM
How to fix pinholes in welds? Bluesbrother Body - Exterior 6 05-18-2009 07:46 AM
Using lead to fill pinholes xpsyclonex2002 Body - Exterior 9 03-17-2008 07:57 AM
Pinholes in single stage over FG Grogetter Body - Exterior 4 09-04-2006 06:23 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.