Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Tip from a buddy on using Varsol or other similar parts washer solvent (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/tip-buddy-using-varsol-other-similar-parts-washer-solvent-122464.html)

donbryce 08-18-2007 04:32 PM

Tip from a buddy on using Varsol or other similar parts washer solvent

I searched and couldn't find a recent thread on the parts washer solvent subject, so here's a new one.
I was shocked to see the price of off-the-shelf parts washer solutions, like Gunk, so I asked my friend what he recommended.
He's been working at the Irving Oil refinery most of his life. He said to go with their product, Irsol, or use Varsol (an Imperial Oil product), and buy in bulk if possible for the best price.
Here's the tip, not found anywhere I searched: he recommended adding a bottle of Pine Sol to prevent the formation of scum that this stuff seems to develop. It'll also add a bit of a more pleasant smell too.

ccb 08-19-2007 08:15 AM

Good old mineral spirits. Aka paint thinner ( NOT lacquer thinner). get it in the house paint section.

oldred 08-19-2007 09:29 AM

Mineral spirits is what I use and really see no need for anything else. You would think anyone would know better than to use something like Lacquer thinner but some probably have and there is one fellow close by here that uses gasoline mixed with diesel fuel :pain: which could be just as bad, some idiots just don't see any danger in anything until it is too late.

jimfulco 08-20-2007 10:20 PM

I'm prone to using kerosene.

schnitz 08-21-2007 09:49 AM

I'm right in line with oldred. Mineral spirits all the way. BTW, maybe it's my sinuses, but I have never really noticed an odor from them. Or, it's the smells from every other caustic chemical in the garage that masks the mineral spirits...

In a while, Chet.

joehalford01 08-22-2007 12:36 PM

i didn't realize those were the same thing. so if i go to orchard supply and pick 10 gallons of paint thinner, I'm good to go? I thought paint thinner was flammable, although I could just be assuming it is, I've never actually read the label.

oldred 08-22-2007 01:49 PM

There are several different kinds of paint thinner so make sure you get the one made with mineral spirits (should say so on the can) and yes it is flammable, about like kerosene but nowhere near as dangerous as gasoline.

driveautomoto 10-19-2011 07:56 PM

Ed's Red homade parts washer solvent

I have been using a homade solvent called Ed's Red. Two parts kerosene, two parts mineral sperits, one part WD 40 and one Qt. ATF. This works very well and has a high flash point. I have tried to ignite a small amount directly with flame and it didn't light up though it still is flamable.