Hot Rod Forum banner

Tip Of The Day #21

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
Mount a toilet paper holder on or near your paint bench.
For you new guys using paper towels, you're going to use a lot!!!
Toilet paper is cheap and convenient for those little clean-ups,
like cleaning out the rim of a can or wipeing things off.
And when people ask me about it I tell them its for those
"crappy paint jobs" :pimp:

#3 ·
I have to tell you, I wouldn't have toilet paper anywhere near a paint bench. It is FULL of loose lint, there is NO WAY.

There are "mechanics towels" that are pretty cheap TORX is one brand that makes lint free "paper towels" for painting. They may cost a few bucks more but they are darn cheap if you had to fix a flaw from lint.

I have to say thumbs down on this one. :pain:

Brian

#4 ·
Brian hit it right on the head. You are going to spend alot of time and money on a paint job. Why would you want to skimp on something like that? You want that area as clean and dust/lint free. Let's not buy something that is basically all lint for that area.

Aaron

#8 ·
Brian hit it right on the head. You are going to spend alot of time and money on a paint job. Why would you want to skimp on something like that? You want that area as clean and dust/lint free. Let's not buy something that is basically all lint for that area.
Reminds me of an old boss of mine. There would be a lot of money in used sandpaper on the floor, and he never really complained about it, but he would go around picking used paper towels of the floor which were maybe a buck or two a roll and want us to reuse them. Never could figure that out.

#9 ·
You know why? Because used sand paper takes longer to use, which means more labor.

Your sand paper in the typical shop is only something like 6% of the material bill. Yet the sanding accounts for 30% or so of labor, see what I mean?

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.