Hot Rod Forum banner

Tip of the day #28 Hood spring installation.

12K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  John long 
#1 ·
Tip of the day, Hood spring installation

This is the very simplest spring installation I know of. The description is for a hood spring but I have used it MANY times on all kinds of springs including trunk torsion bars. Below is a drawing that may make it clearer. I would go out there and take a picture but it is raining like a cow peeing through a pole bridge.

Have a friend hold the hood open all the way, or if you have to, use a prop. Hook the spring onto the rear of the hinge and keep tension on it so it doesn’t fall off. With the other hand hook your chain hook onto the spring hook and pull, keeping that tension. Now, I usually wrap the chain around my hand like you do when you are the anchor man in a tug-o-war. All the while maintaining the tension so the spring doesn’t fall off the hinge at the back. Pull on the chain stretching the spring out so you can hook the spring end onto the hinge hook. It may seem like you can’t get the chain hook off the spring, but it comes off rather easy if you start to remove it before the spring is set all the way down in the bottom of the hook on the hinge.

This method leaves you in complete control, YOU are in control of the spring and it will not fly off, I have NEVER had it fly off in any way while using this method.

It is best to mount the hinges to the car, but if you had to you could do the same thing with the hinge mounted in a vice. I have always used a chain that has a hook made out of 1/8” mild steel. But I have seen many guys use a link that opens and just hook it over the end of the chain. You could also make a dandy tool by cutting a link off making a hook. Then MIG weld it to the last link on the chain.

See less See more
#5 ·
Here's a couple of photos showing it in action.

And honestly it takes very little effort with putting a hook of some sort and a rope or chain or what ever to pull on, it is amazing how little effort.

Brian

#7 ·
It was pretty funny, this is a Chevelle in the shop and I had two body techs scratching their head on how they were going to get those springs on. I bet them a lunch I would put them on with one hand behind my back in seconds. :D They lost, or did they win? I wish, oh how I wish I could call up the man who showed me this trick to thank him. I don't remember who it was but at least I remember the trick! :)

Brian

#13 ·
OK, Don't make fun of the art work. I loaned my hood spring tool and can't take a picture of it. I took a half tube, welded a couple of washers in it. Spread the hinge and slip the tool on it. Install the hinge and as you lower the hood it will stretch the spring and allow easy removal of the tool. To stretch the spring I drilled two 1/4 inch holes in the jaws of my vice. By placing 2 bolts in the holes I can open the jaws of the vice stretching the spring so I can position the tool. Not sure mine is the best idea but has worked for me for years.

John L

#23 ·
John L, that is a good idea, been using that setup for a while. However, you can buy the tool/tools from National Chevy. It's been a while since I bought them but the part number is 1357 and price is 40.00, but if you look at them you can make your own out of 1/8 inch flat stock. Had thought of looking on the computer I'd have saved 40 bucks. Make 'em a tad wider than springs and shorter. Open the hood all the way and force it a little further, then close it and take springs off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.