Hot Rod Forum banner

tip of the day #41

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jcclark 
#1 ·
Here's my little tip of the day.

I was removing the floors on my '64 impala over the weekend. There is a pinch weld (i think that is the term) where the toe boards and the floor panels meet up at a 90° angle

The front bodymounts and other nick-nacks were in the way, making it difficult to get my spotweld cutter and drill up to the spots welds.

I had a paint stirring extention (about 14" long, for stirring 5 gallon paint pails) that allows for different stirring attachments that are held in with set screws. I put in a 5/16" drill bit into the extension, clamped it in with the set screws and VOILA! easy acess to the spot welds.

In some cases, the 5/16's wasn't big enough to get the whole spot weld so I stuck a step drill bit into the extension and punched the holes out a little bigger (in 1/32" steps) until the spot was totally drilled out.

With a couple of taps from the air chisle to get thing started, the seam came out cleanly, with no damage to the surrounding toeboards and very little swearing.

There rear floor pan was another story..... :D

Hope somebody can use this.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.