Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Tip of day #6 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/tip-day-6-a-69956.html)

BarryK 09-11-2005 03:35 PM

Tip of day #6

I just knew we were ready for another tip from Jim.

I thought I would take the liberty of helping him post this next tip as he is not moving real fast Right now.

TIP-#6
"When reinstalling door handles, do NOT throw your back out"!

Hopefully when Jim gets better he will explain, how you could possibly do this?????

kenseth17 09-11-2005 04:35 PM

I threw my back out when working on a cavalier. The sheetmetal is paper thin on those cars, but it is unbelievable how heavy the doors are with the glass and all in them. I guess all those saftey videos through jobs I have had stressing to bend your knees and crutch down and lift with your legs did no good. What a beotch. Could hardly move the next day and walked like the hunch back of notre dame for a week. Now I am interested to hear how you can throw your back out from a wee little door handle. Maybe jim needs to visit some mlb players and see if they have any extra roids he can consume. I suppose when you get to be as old as jim, anything is possible. :P

BarryK 09-11-2005 05:52 PM

It was about 8 years ago on a Saturday morning about 6 went down the driveway to get the paper. Bent over and never got back up, had to crawl up the driveway than could not open the door. laid on porch for about 3 hours before someone woke up. and could hear me hitting the door.

No reason for it but out of commission for two weeks.
Nothing more painful.

kenseth17 09-11-2005 06:33 PM

I agree, messing up your back is about the worst. I hope this wasn't summer time in Georgia, it probably is pretty rough laying 3 hours outside in Georgia heat. I wouldn't have wanted to try something like that here today, This is Wisconsin and its september, and we had high 80's yesterday, Today was in 90's and humid, tommorow is suppose to be as bad or worst. What the heck is going on here, is this the global warming they have always talked about. Or maybe its just the sign of winter approaching. We usually get an indian summer sometime in october before winter comes.

baddbob 09-11-2005 07:06 PM

I just spread and leveled 4000 square feet of topsoil in my front yard yesterday and today, glad my back didn't give out but it sure is sore. I'll be sure to be carefull installing door handles from now on, thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

Loading and spliting firewood is usually what screws my back up. You Southern guys don't know how lucky you've got it. Bob

302 Z28 09-11-2005 08:08 PM

There are a few things I no longer do for friends, like roofing, and concrete spreading. Thos days are long over with.

Vince

poncho62 09-11-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302/Z28
There are a few things I no longer do for friends, like roofing, and concrete spreading. Thos days are long over with.

Vince

Trouble is, when you stop doing stuff for them, the "friends" seem to dissapear...........................

kenseth17 09-11-2005 09:36 PM

It also seems when you own a truck, you have more friends then when you don't.

BondoKing 09-11-2005 10:59 PM

Bahahahahahahahha

Good tip bro...lol....Man who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger

BK

jcclark 09-12-2005 04:46 AM

Thanks BondoQUEEN!!!!
No I wasn't carrying anything improperly.
I just twisted the wrong way when I was reaching up inside
a door to reinstall the door handle. I'm sore but not
out of commission. I have still been working, I'm just a
little slow getting up and down.
My tip of the day should be to stay away from Matthew,
he had his wife (who is sick right now) out there yesterday
helping him sand a truck!!!!
Have you no shame???? If you can't handle the work without
mamma helping then..........

Beenaway2long 09-12-2005 07:15 AM

Well,on 7-20, I blew out my right knee. Had it operated on 2 weeks ago, felt great, Moved a pallett of stuff in the warehouse Tuesday, Started hurting again. After a great deal of kicking MY OWN butt for being stupid, it felt great Saturday. Sunday morning, I feel super, so I figure I could FINALLY get back out to the shop to do SOMETHING, other than sitting around with my leg propped up. So I jump on the tractor, did a bit of brush hogging, then went to take the attachment of the tractor. Guess what, while trying to protect my knee, I popped something in my Left elbow!! Guess who's REALLY pissed off? :spank: :boxing: :evil: :drunk:

pigman 09-12-2005 09:32 AM

if it makes you guys feel any better, a buddy of mine threw his back out buttering toast one morning..... i don't get it either.. but it happened.. he could barely walk for 2 weeks

jcclark 09-12-2005 10:13 AM

I believe it. I've never hurt my back picking up something heavy.
Maybe I'm just more cautious when doing that, everytime I've
hurt myself it was by twisting, once with an empty plastic garbage can.
It's when you least expect it, just turning the wrong way.
I have to be more carefull with real fat women now.

Bee4Me 09-12-2005 11:31 AM

I dropped my time card on the floor once and bent over to pick it up and ended up laying on the floor.
"How did you hurt your back?"
"Lifting a piece of paper."
Try getting workmen's comp to buy that one.

BondoKing 09-12-2005 11:43 AM

Jim I sense allot of pent of frustration with you... Perhaps you should look into that.. Besides I did not start this thread :boxing: Remember I know where you live OLD MAN :thumbup:

BK