Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tip of the day, painting small parts 3-3-12
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Lizer, by the way the trick I have used for painting those is to jamb the back sides and the end of the quarters and fenders where they bolt. You then bolt the parts on with spacers over the studs holding them off the body a little. Of course this only matters if you are shooting it a metallic color where you need perfect application to ensure the same color. You can really stick yourself painting those pieces metallic colors because you spray something like that completely different (as you just learned with the primer) than you would spraying the fenders and quarters. So with them bolted there they end up the exact color without even trying. And the edges are all nicely painted because they are held off with the spacers.

Brian
Perfect advice! That was one of the things I was going to ask on here some day, eventually. I will be painting the car a blue metallic (woefully), and wanted all the parts together but not tightly so as to prevent paint bridging. Wasn't really sure what to use for spacers.

Regarding things like headlight buckets, I'm still not sure what to do for that gap because those buckets are really a bear to get on if the fender is on the car and I was hoping to not have to take the fenders off once the car was painted. Sure scratches up a lot of things when I take them on and off.

I use rebar wire for hanging parts. Strong but thin and easy to work, and you can get a big spool at the home store for $5 give or take.