Tip of the day, painting small parts 3-3-12 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
LOL,Brian and I thought you didnt want us to see your fully manicured fingernails.

One thing I've always done is wear gloves when cleaning my guns and mixing paint theres always a box sitting right there next to the paint sticks...I learned that lesson early on when I painted a black car then tried to clean my hands and just couldnt get all the black paint out from around my finger nails...Not such a big deal ,right ? Unless your wife made dinner plans with friends from her job a week earlier and you forgot...Sure ,you know its paint but it looks like grease and you have to pass on getting the chicken wings (your favorite appetizer)

LOLOL. I will never, ever forget as long as I live the photographer at my Senior ball telling my date to put her hands over mine for the photo because "You haven't been out stealing batteries". LOLOLOLOLOL, that is a treasure I will always keep. The funny part is I do have my box of gloves sitting right there and I ran out and didn't think I had any. When I went to take the photo I said to myself I need to practice what I preach and put some gloves on and went and dug around and found two for the picture. But you know what, when I cleaned up something with thinner a little bit later those suckers were toast in only seconds so they weren't the right ones anyway.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 04:05 PM

I didn't see it mentioned, but in regards to keeping your hands clean painting small parts, using the 2 hook method, I used to carry a small thin hook, run the second hook through a hole on the bottom of the piece, and (assuming your rack is stable enough) pull with just a little pressure and you can rotate/turn/flip the piece some. It keeps the small light pieces from flopping around, and your hands out of the spray. When you're done with that piece, pull the hook out, touch up the edges, and move on.

Used to work for a company that did corrosion control on military gear. We could fill a large booth with hundreds of little parts, most the painters hated parts days lol.

Oh and love the forums, so many helpful tips! Thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

By the way on the rack that I hung the items from it's a folding style. I have a couple of them, they are very useful and you can put large items on them like this dash board. But the other racks I have are even better, I made them from 1" angle iron. I have a metal place near me that you can order up pieces already cut and it isn't too much more money. I ordered 24 pieces all the same (save for 4 of the which makes one rack a little different than the other) and in just a short while had them all welded together making up these two awesome stands. You can lay a piece of wood or metal across them making a table, you can weld things on them to hold things. You can see a couple of pieces of tubing across one of them with washers at the end. I don't remember what I painted on there but I made it specifically for something. The other one you can see in the close up once had a bunch of metal rod welded to it. That metal rod had small screws at the ends and were to hold a bunch of vintage Harley parts I painted. It works so darn nice, you can sand on them, even polish them while they are mounted on the racks you painted them on.

Brian

Old 03-05-2012, 06:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

absolutely,those folding horses are very handyand one of the few things that are cheaper to make yourself than to buy.They cost about 45.00 these days but all you need is a few pieces of 3/4 -1" electrical conduit and a bender,like the ones an electrition uses ,some rubber bottoms for crutches,a few 1/4" bolts with chain and some pipe insulation or those swimming noodles that kids play with in the pool,on the top rails to keep things from slipping around.you can build three in an hour or two
Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I've been helping the neighbor restore his 58 Chevy, he's new to bodywork but catches on faster than anyone I have seen before. He painted his interior trim, cut come PVC pipe into 1 inch pieces, uses them for spacers. Then takes some 3 in sheet rock screws I gave him and attached the trim pieces to a sheet of plywood sitting on 2 saw horses, using the PVC to keep them off the plywood. No parts blowing in the spray, everything sets right where you place it. He uses the same screw holes that are in the trim, doesn't screw them down tightly and the paint also hits the surrounding area around the hole. Clever, these Americans!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

Quote:
absolutely,those folding horses are very handyand one of the few things that are cheaper to make yourself than to buy.They cost about 45.00 these days but all you need is a few pieces of 3/4 -1" electrical conduit and a bender,like the ones an electrition uses ,some rubber bottoms for crutches,a few 1/4" bolts with chain and some pipe insulation or those swimming noodles that kids play with in the pool,on the top rails to keep things from slipping around.you can build three in an hour or two
The ones you build will be probably be better quality then most that you buy now!! I bought a new folding stand last spring and put a 65 chevy trunk lid on it for my Finnish coats and while I was out of the booth 2 of the eye bolts broke that hold the chains right at the last thread of each for the nuts, and the trunk lid hit the floor!!! I paid good money for it from a good supplier! it was made in U.S.A.!!!! But I'll bet those eye bolts were made in china!!!! My old 40 year old stands would hold a full size truck bed with no problem. Since I changed the eye bolts its a good heavy stand!!! Those swimming noodles you mentioned work great and last longer then the electrition or plumber insulators!!

If I ever buy another stand Ill be changing the eye bolts LOL for the good U.S.A. or Canadian ones LOL!! Its hard to take quality for granted any more even if it says made in U.S.A.

Jester
Old 03-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
I've been helping the neighbor restore his 58 Chevy, he's new to bodywork but catches on faster than anyone I have seen before. He painted his interior trim, cut come PVC pipe into 1 inch pieces, uses them for spacers. Then takes some 3 in sheet rock screws I gave him and attached the trim pieces to a sheet of plywood sitting on 2 saw horses, using the PVC to keep them off the plywood. No parts blowing in the spray, everything sets right where you place it. He uses the same screw holes that are in the trim, doesn't screw them down tightly and the paint also hits the surrounding area around the hole. Clever, these Americans!
Oh yes that's a good way, I painted the horse shoes for my kids Christmas presents like that for example. I used metal fuel line and a smaller headed screw.

Brian
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Michel, I never thought about those swim noodles, we throw them away the end of every swim season, now I have a use for them. Thanks, Chip.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

I did it that way when priming my pot metal. It did blow around a bit even though these pieces are fairly heavy.

I get the heavy latex chemical resistant gloves (the orange ones that look like the yellow kitchen gloves) for cleaning up my gun because they don't thin out and fall apart like nitrile gloves do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Mustang 490.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	63747  
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

Lizer, by the way the trick I have used for painting those is to jamb the back sides and the end of the quarters and fenders where they bolt. You then bolt the parts on with spacers over the studs holding them off the body a little. Of course this only matters if you are shooting it a metallic color where you need perfect application to ensure the same color. You can really stick yourself painting those pieces metallic colors because you spray something like that completely different (as you just learned with the primer) than you would spraying the fenders and quarters. So with them bolted there they end up the exact color without even trying. And the edges are all nicely painted because they are held off with the spacers.

Brian
Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

That elec conduit is very handy for so many things around the shop.
For a quick rack to hang parts from ,use a 2" screw and attach some tie wire to the ceiling ,hanging down about 3'-4' and wrap it around a length of conduit ,adjust it to whayever hight is most comfortable to work at then tie all your parts to it....when your done leave the screws and wire just roll the wire up to the ceiling so its out of the way and set the conduit somewhere out of the way ,even outside ,it wont rust ,or make some racks out of it...I even made my paper machine out of the stuff.....very handy indeed...
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

Quote:
That elec conduit is very handy for so many things around the shop.
For a quick rack to hang parts from ,use a 2" screw and attach some tie wire to the ceiling ,hanging down about 3'-4' and wrap it around a length of conduit ,adjust it to whayever hight is most comfortable to work at then tie all your parts to it....when your done leave the screws and wire just roll the wire up to the ceiling so its out of the way and set the conduit somewhere out of the way ,even outside ,it wont rust ,or make some racks out of it...I even made my paper machine out of the stuff.....very handy indeed...
I was just here laughing because Ive had wires hanging in the same place for years rolled up . And I use them all the time!!! I thought I was The only one, a lot of my customers asked me why I had wires there!!! LOL! I made a paper machine the same way for the long rolls!! easy to make its cheep & works great

Jester
Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I hang when I can, but sometimes on small parts,
putting it on a stick so you can hold it and go all around.
Dowels work real good, you can just pick them up and put
them back into their holes when finished painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03804.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	758.6 KB
ID:	63763   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04019.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	792.2 KB
ID:	63764   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03965.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	63765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	752.1 KB
ID:	63766  

Last edited by jcclark; 03-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

I've used expanded metal on sawhorses to lay things on to paint as well, you avoid the pspc blowing back on you vs laying your material on a flat board or other solid surface. I think I heisted this idea from somebody on here years ago. Milo had a neat idea of using a lazy susan with dowels and those spring clanps for holding parts too.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Awesome stuff guys!

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.