Tip of the day, painting small parts 3-3-12 - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Rodder
I don't post here very often (if I ever have)...but when I seen this post...thought I'd share one of my tricks/tools.

Instead of using my "fender" folding racks , I purchased 4 Rolling Wardrobe racks from Wal-Mart. They are around $10 each and after painting items I can roll the rack around anywhere out of the way as the paint is drying.

These pictures don't show the rack very good....but as you can see they can be used for paint items as large as headers since they are over 6ft tall.

I too use wire hangers...but I also use 40lb fishing line with hooks tied at the ends (see pic) and make a slip knot on the top bar of the rack. This way I can slide my freshly painted part back and forth to paint all side and also lift it up to paint undersides!

Also.....when not using....these things can be taken back apart and stored in their box which takes up about a 3' X 2" X 4" space!!!!
I never thought you could get such a cool auto restoration tool at Wallyworld!

Good idea!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM

Great tip!

Like some here I already use that technique but it's more than worthy of showing as I bet there are many people that don't

For those of you that have trouble with small parts blowing about, there are a few options: You can leave the lower hook on while painting and hold it with your free hand to stop it moving; hang a weight from the lower hook; or I've even attached an elastic shock cord / bungee from the lower hook and hooked it through the grids on the booth floor.

I like those cube shaped stands you have there too, they look very handy indeed. I'd like something similar that I can put a 1/2" weld mesh top onto for painting flat parts without the blowback you get from a table.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 PM

painting small parts.

i use coat hangers a bunch you can also use mechanic wire twisted at the end.one other trick is to use your spray can lids to support the small stuff so it dosen't get blow back and fog out,ialso use cardboard sheets to rotate the parts so i get every angle to get total coverage.after you do this for awhile it just becomes automatic.the angle of the hanging wire is important also.too much leaves visual lines that don't give the perfect look.i like the two wire approach but every painter has his style.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 AM

Pro's

First of all....Excellent tip for anyone who didn't know!! I mean that!!
But whats with all the pro bashing!! all we try to do is give advice!! we all have different approaches so compare and use it!! I'm a pro for 30 years and alway game to learn I wouldnt be a pro otherwise! paints and prosess changes, those who don't keep up will lose, these forums are awsome so stop bashing and learn whatever you think will work for you!!
Keith
Old 03-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

I'm sorry Keith, I have done a little "pro bashing" haven't I.

It comes down to having a basic idea such as this being bashed by the pros on a board like "What a dumb ars, of course everyone knows this, you just got the idea?" I literally have had them like that or at least insinuating it. Plus, it is true that I have worked with a lot of guys who wouldn't do this and end up with bare spots all over their work.

This frustrates the hell out of me at work and I simply can't grasp how a guy could have so little passion for the work he does everyday. I mean, if I cared so little I would find another job.

To point out that "even some pros" don't do this I don't feel is a "bash" by any means. But I can certainly see that with my personal frustration in the attitudes of a few that a personal "dig" is shown in my remarks. I thank you for pointing this out to me as I don't want it to sound like that.

Brian
Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 PM

pro bashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967bsd
But whats with all the pro bashing!! all we try to do is give advice!! we all have different approaches so compare and use it!! I'm a pro for 30 years and alway game to learn I wouldnt be a pro otherwise! paints and prosess changes, those who don't keep up will lose, these forums are awsome so stop bashing and learn whatever you think will work for you!!
Keith
i guess the gut of hot rodding for me is building cars in my dad's garage.i see everything getting so perfect that it leaves the average guy behind.it's just like the government.it's all about perfect and money. excuse me for just wanting the old days of motor swaps and street racing.buy the way i have 20 years on you.my first car was a "59"389 Pontiac.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

Have you heard about this thing called the "Rat rod"? Rough and tumble hot rodding is alive and well. I dig it all, I have waxed the floor and frame of a car for a first class car show or bolted a part on without so much as priming it, one car to the next it's all different and I dig it all.

Brian
Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967bsd
Keith
By the way Keith, I'm a pro too, been doing this stuff since I chopped a top at 16 years old and working full time since a week after highschool in 1977.

Brian
Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

maybe I missed it, but do you bake the parts after spraying..
I've had great luck, baking the parts in an old oven. they seem to not chip and can take more abuse
Old 03-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Have you heard about this thing called the "Rat rod"? Rough and tumble hot rodding is alive and well. I dig it all, I have waxed the floor and frame of a car for a first class car show or bolted a part on without so much as priming it, one car to the next it's all different and I dig it all.

Brian
Brian,i have a 67 GTO that is a solid convert.i bought it 1983 and don't think i'll ever be able to restore it.in two months i'm going to hear it run for the first time and i'm gonna drive it all summer with no back window and just the way it is.i've paid thousands in storage to keep a car i've never heard run.i just love muscle cars and the old days.i've made my living for the last 25 years selling options for these cars,nobody gives me anything either,i earn it!so yeah i have a Rat Rod this summer.i also have a 64 Skylark convert that really needs a aluminum big/small block(lots of cubes and a 4 gear)chevy motor as a Rat Rod.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:08 PM
gearheadslife

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiontown
Brian,i have a 67 GTO that is a solid convert.i bought it 1983 and don't think i'll ever be able to restore it.in two months i'm going to hear it run for the first time and i'm gonna drive it all summer with no back window and just the way it is.i've paid thousands in storage to keep a car i've never heard run.i just love muscle cars and the old days.i've made my living for the last 25 years selling options for these cars,nobody gives me anything either,i earn it!so yeah i have a Rat Rod this summer.i also have a 64 Skylark convert that really needs a aluminum big/small block(lots of cubes and a 4 gear)chevy motor as a Rat Rod.
nice I love 66-67 lemans/gto's
Old 03-11-2012, 02:30 PM

67 gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
nice I love 66-67 lemans/gto's
i can remember being in junkyards since i first started reading Hot Rod in 1962.i just love Pontiacs.how could GM do that to us?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:24 PM
gearheadslife

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiontown
i can remember being in junkyards since i first started reading Hot Rod in 1962.i just love Pontiacs.how could GM do that to us?

easy, at the end pontiac didn't have one car that was a money maker, persay..
most where badge engineered cars..
the 2 seater was a small sales volume car,
the g8 was great but the right car at the wrong time.. no one had money to buy it ..
they killed the t/a and removed the plastic cladding from the g/p and grand am.. both cars sold better with the plastic sides cladding than without..
for some odd reason buicks sell overseas.. china they are huge..
at the time money talked.. we get buick.. now as seen as chevy doesn't want the holden(g8) maybe give it to buick. paint it black and drop the s/c zo6 engine in it.. hehe
Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 PM

Pro bashing

I guess I've tried to share what I know in past forums and advice was disputed as having to be perfect which was never insinuated, I'm all for rat rods and any other type or level of pefection, I own a 65 GTO ...its not perfect but its fun, thats all that matters! anyway its good to have a good variety of opinion...Thanks.
Keith
Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 PM
gearheadslife

Last photo:

perfect gets in the way of done.. many a car still sits in pieces because of that call for perfect..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.