Tip of the day, painting small parts 3-3-12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Tip of the day, painting small parts 3-3-12

Today I was out painting some brackets and I used a little trick that is often overlooked, for some reason even the pros. I have seen guys paint hood hinges and the like at the shop and not do this, leaving bare spots!

It's simple, yet often its missed and that's why I thought it would be a good little tip for you guys. First off, these hooks made from stiff wire are invaluable, you can't have enough. I have made them from coat hangers, eighth inch welding rod, sixteenth inch welding rod, just about any stiff wire will do, depending on how heavy the item is you are painting. I have a whole pile of them hanging there on my peg board for tools, because that is exactly what they are, tools.

First off, when ever possible you hang the part as it is going to be SEEN at the very least. If you don't plan on doing the double hook process as I will describe, you hang it as it is bolted on the car. It makes not sense to paint that bracket up side down, but I am telling you I have seen guys do it all the time. So first off, hang it as it is on the car.

But the double hook method works so darn good, I use it all the time. You can see I have a hook on both sides in photo A. I don't actually leave the hanging there, I just put it there to show you. After painting the piece I then hung another hook on the other end. In photo B you can see that I have the top hook in my left hand, the bottom hook in my right hand. I then pull the hook off the rack it's hanging on and simply pull the hooks apart with my hands so I can rotate the bottom hook to the top so I can put the next coat on with it hanging it upside down from where the first coat was applied. If you are pulling the hooks apart it doesn't fall off the hooks. Photo C. I don't care how good you are painting one side of something like this when you turn it over I am personally always surprised because I thought I had gotten it completely covered but there is always somewhere that has a at least a little holiday.

Back years ago I was the painter in a full on resto shop and we would have "Imron day" where we painted all the brackets and such on a car. I would have the booth full of 30 or 40 or more small pieces on hooks like this. Man did that teach me a lot, that is where I learned this trick.

Now damn it, get out there and paint all those little parts.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Martin, good tip but every painter I know uses wire for stuff like that. Other odd ball things are tinfoil for masking and even spinning hubs to paint outer rims while spinning them. Pretty cool post, btw.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
Martin, good tip but every painter I know uses wire for stuff like that.
Then don't tell them, but the guys who don't paint for a living may want to know. But as I said, I have worked with a lot of guys who will paint anything from brackets to hinges to a hood or trunk and will miss spots all over! Guys who are painting for a living, so you never know who will know something like the two hook method or simply hanging it as it hangs on the car, duh. But come to think of it, if the guy is missing these simple basics, he doesn't have an open mind and would be seeing a thread like this is highly unlikely being he thinks he knows it all.

Brian
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 PM
snydski

Last journal entry: 72 ' 3970010
Last photo:

Sometimes it takes a different perspective to solve problems. Looks like your paint rack is chest high and very comfortable . On a technical application note; I like to hit everything with a little denatured alcohol first, get rid of moisture and it acts like a bonding agent which helps prevent fish eyes . I 've had trouble with small parts that tend get greased. It solved the problem and it's cheap .
Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Then don't tell them, but the guys who don't paint for a living may want to know. But as I said, I have worked with a lot of guys who will paint anything from brackets to hinges to a hood or trunk and will miss spots all over! Guys who are painting for a living, so you never know who will know something like the two hook method or simply hanging it as it hangs on the car, duh. But come to think of it, if the guy is missing these simple basics, he doesn't have an open mind and would be seeing a thread like this is highly unlikely being he thinks he knows it all.

Brian
gotta have an open mind to newer and better things. I kid you not, the most stubborn and know it all techs always seem to be the old schoolers that never change their ideas with the times. Most of those guys have invaluable experience but most of the time they lead with their mouth and have too much ego to put their head down to bust arse.

btw, I was hoping you do an advanced panel alignment tutorial like your old one but with different ideas like shifting a radiator support for hood gaps, getting out bows in hoods, spooning an edge out a tad, welding small pieces of sheet metal into jambs to close a gap, burring out door metal over caged bolts to hinge to give the door more tilt, lifting the torque box for fenders, etc-etc... And get photoshop will ya? Those scribbles aren't doing ya any good.

Last edited by tech69; 03-03-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

it seems so simple and obvious, but I just learned something
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
it seems so simple and obvious, but I just learned something
Those are some of my best thoughts "Simply and obvious".

Brian
Old 03-03-2012, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
And get photoshop will ya? Those scribbles aren't doing ya any good.
I'll do that.

Brian
Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Since I'm simple minded keeping it simple is fairly ez but we over looked something .....Those surgical gloves...an absolute necessity when painting the small stuff because as soon as you pull the trigger the parts want to spin around and blow all over ,even hitting the part next to it so you need to hold them still with one hand....something that'll help immensely is tieing down the bottom of the part also that way they wont try to swing away from the gun when you pull the trigger....
Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Works for bigger parts too, did my headers that way.
I also push bolts through card to paint the bolt heads.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Since I'm simple minded keeping it simple is fairly ez but we over looked something .....Those surgical gloves...an absolute necessity when painting the small stuff because as soon as you pull the trigger the parts want to spin around and blow all over ,even hitting the part next to it so you need to hold them still with one hand....something that'll help immensely is tieing down the bottom of the part also that way they wont try to swing away from the gun when you pull the trigger....

LOLOLOLOLOLOL, ok, I will reveil the man behind the curtain I didn't wear my gloves while painting the stuff and put them on because my hands were filthy. LOLOL

But not from touching the parts, from mixing and cleaning the gun. Yes the parts blow around a lot, but I will turn the pressure way down so that isn't a real big deal. It isn't like I care about a prefect finish with no orange peel, or a little solvent pop or any other thing you would be getting if you were to paint a fender with this low a pressure. So I will cut the pressure down and the atomization (this is an Optima gun, PERFECT for a "work horse" gun) so I don't have that problem.

Brian
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
Works for bigger parts too, did my headers that way.
I also push bolts through card to paint the bolt heads.
Oh absolutely, why did the first guy make a frame rotisserie?

Nothing burns me up more than holidays in the primer, paint or clear, MAN that BURNS me up. And I see it way too much with the "pros" I have worked with. To me it's like hitting the wrong note on your solo EVERY time you play it, REALLY? Come on now, for goodness sakes squat down and spray under the wheel well lip properly, REALLY? Is it that hard?

Brian
Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 AM

lets say you want to paint something like a body side moulding and not only cant hang it but dont want paint on one side...You want to lay it on something flat like a table but you want to secure it so it wont blow around or off the table onto the floor....Just wrap some tape around your finger (sticky side out) ,pull it off and attach it to the moulding in a few spots then stick the moulding to the table top....kinda like homade double sided tape....
Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
so true, and you're instantly annoyed by it too... Like, "damn, I got to hold you in place too ya lil bugger?" Then the tips of your fingers become part of what gets painted. Good greif.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
LOLOLOLOLOLOL, ok, I will reveil the man behind the curtain I didn't wear my gloves while painting the stuff and put them on because my hands were filthy. LOLOL

Brian
LOL,Brian and I thought you didnt want us to see your fully manicured fingernails.

One thing I've always done is wear gloves when cleaning my guns and mixing paint theres always a box sitting right there next to the paint sticks...I learned that lesson early on when I painted a black car then tried to clean my hands and just couldnt get all the black paint out from around my finger nails...Not such a big deal ,right ? Unless your wife made dinner plans with friends from her job a week earlier and you forgot...Sure ,you know its paint but it looks like grease and you have to pass on getting the chicken wings (your favorite appetizer)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.