Hot Rod Forum banner

Tip for working on your car, hobbiests and pros alike.

5K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  tech69 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

(This is a video, click on the pic to start.)

Brian

See less See more
Reactions: geeky2
#4 ·
lol,, I need a air ride or hyd. creeper.. one that can be a foot or so off the ground and then lowered to the weeds to get under a car..
for many reasons, but mostly, gettting up from that low without rolling out of it first is a p.i.t.a. and 2nd, reaching stuff on a 4x4 while on one ,doesn't always work..

#7 · (Edited)
Any one use the head light for under car work yet .LOL .:sweat: Good to see you back Cash. Im pretty bad myself did not know it was a video until your post. Very good post Brian My hats off to you saftey first . I often say if I knew i would live this long i would have taken better care of myself, lol ???d\Do you want to be refered to as Martin or Brian.

#6 ·
Great video Brian. I am somewhat of a safety Nazi and could not agree with you more. Go home in the same condition you arrived at work, take all precautions that are available to you to achieve that goal.

Being I am old and senile it took me a few minutes to figure out your post was more than a photo. For us less web savvy guys, maybe post click image for video or something similar, thx.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Brian, shouldn't you have had your hearing protection on when you dumped all those coins on the creeper....they were pretty loud:mwink:
I wear them while using most any air tool, even ratchets. While doing hammer and dolly work on a large project, and certainly with any grinder or sander. I use one with a radio in it while mowing the lawn. :D

Brian

#18 ·
I post this for no other reason than a genuine heartfelt concern for you all. This life is too short to shorten it even more, or to effect your way of life in your later years. I have a co-worker who I watched work every day without protection of any kind, he just worked every day and didn't take the 30 seconds to get his protection. He was about 48 when met him and he was in very bad shape, now at 60, he is near bed ridden and largely do not protecting himself. His knees are gone, he can't breath, he is shot.
The sad part is I am watching his son who is 28 doing the same thing!

Guys, buy a few pairs of ear muff style protection, a few pairs of goggles, a box of particle masks a few pieces of foam to kneel on, a few pairs of gloves, and put them around the shop in designated areas. Return them to the same spot every time, then you aren't looking for them, you have one in arms reach at all times no matter where you are in the shop. This is what I have had to do to get into the habit and keep it up. We are all different, that is what I had to do.

Time yourself, I can't express this enough, no kidding, time yourself doing daily tasks. While you are sitting on the couch, put a stop watch going at how long it takes you to stand up and go get a beer or go to the bathroom, how long does it take? It takes seconds folks, just seconds to do most of these tasks every day. We have such a skewed image of time. We all think we need to be a foot from that car in front of us like it will get us to work faster, the guy in front of us is having a hard time with his debit card at the store and we are fuming because it's taking so long, we are talking SECONDS here, these things take seconds! And so does protecting yourself.

Those seconds pay off in years at the end of your life.

Brian

#19 ·
I agree with you totally. Back when I first started in the trades we didn't wear hearing,or eye protection. Then "THEY" started to tell us to wear the stuff, most of us resisted. Next "THEY" required us to wear the stuff.

Fast forward : today I have lost most hearing the one ear, had numerous trips to the eye Dr. over the years to get foreign objects removed from both of my eyes, everything from aluminum dust to hot oil. Luckily never had a penetration wound to the eye. Have had numerous sutures placed in my hands, even had a 1/4" wide blade screwdriver shoved completely thru the left hand between the thumb and pointer finger. Broken fingers, toes, foot, blown out knee to name a few other woops.
Installed some 2" pipe a while ago, far end of pipe fell, I tried to save it, blew out my back. Haven't worked since, and haven't felt good since either. A good part of evey day is spend in the recliner or bed. One surgery that was unsuccessful, numerous injections, still getting worse. One of the nations top Neurosurgeons says it is what it is and if it is operated on again the outcome will only be worse.

EVERYONE needs to learn from the old farts.
We didn't listen and now pay the price.
We try and let you know the wrong way to do things so you too don't have to end up worn out and hurting in your retirement years.

Brian, keep sounding that warning bell, hopefully you can stop some from getting injured and later regretting their laziness or stupidity like me.

#20 ·
I absolutely have to agree with everything Brian has said,, I worked commercial construction for over 40 years, and very seldom used hearing protection,, today I have to wear hearing aids in both ears, because I have severe hearing loss, ,, I gave up counting the times I went to the emergency room to get steel slivers dug of my eyes.
You have no warning what-so-ever when a grinder is going to grab a edge, and spin out of your hand or take a finger off,

GOOD post Brian,,,

#21 ·
shop safety

A long time ago somebody told me to wear safety equiptment for those you left at home. I wear safety equiptment for everybody/thing else, because I know what I am doing, I just do not know what the guy beside me, or the grinder is doing. great video.:thumbup:

#25 ·
It takes a bit to load do you just have a slow source, dail up or something? I know at work with my work computer it does take a bit to open where are home on my MAC and cable internet provider is opens a lot faster.

Brian

#27 ·
Safety:

A lot of good points. One of the good things about gettin' "older" is that most of us need glasses. Spend a few bucks more for a pair that are safety rated (a lot are). I'm always wearin' safety glasses.;) I've been a certified welder more than 40 yrs. and have the scars to prove it. Gloves are great but, like you said, "it's just a little tack". (Still don't wear them for the little stuff) Don't forget...if you're welding galvanized and not wearing a respirator...you're breathin' a deadly poison.

#29 ·
Its a LED light with an elastic strap to hold it pn your head ..most are ajustable up and down so you dont have to tilt your head ,mine uses 3 aaa batterys in the shop under normal use batterys will last a month or more they produce no heat Good light.when fishing it will last all night and have battery still working next morning,, Most of all it shines where you are looking ,no flashlight or drop light. But you will look like a one eyed monster.LOL

#34 ·
I thought that was such a stupid idea until I found one in a total at work. Just a few days later I had to go under the house for some plumbing and HOLY CRAP does that light on your head work good, I will NEVER go under there or anything similar without it, man was I wrong.

Brian

#38 ·
I feel your pain. I wear what they call 'blended bifocals' - no hard line. Working close under the dash is tricky, because I'm trying to tip my head back to see out of the bottom of my glasses. I used to just take them off, but now I need a little help up close too. Your son was kind - my daughter just tells me 'you're getting old!'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.