Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - tips for getting a car to start in below 0* ) weather???
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
What kind of vehicle is it? What type of fuel injection does it have? I assume it doesn't have a block heater? Are you pumping the gas pedal to try and start it?

If your killing the battery quickly, how quickly? Do you know how many cold cranking amps your battery has?

Seeing that you just bought a battery charger and it's getting colder, take the battery out of the car and charge it over night...inside your house where it's warm.
96 dodge intrepid , 3.5L v6 mpfi , no block heater but im going to order one of those oil pan heaters from summit since its not going to get any warmer anytime soon

i only have a lil napa 6 amp battery charger
with it charging for 20 mins i can crank the engine for around 30-45 seconds before it kills the battery again

touching the gas pedal on the car while cranking puts the ecm in flood clear mode and shuts off the injectors

i just did run outside and try to start it again and it damn near started so im going to leave the charger and heater on it for another hour and try again

im thinking the fuel may be frozen up in the fuel rail by the injectors so i pointed the heater right at the intake/fuel rail

not sure on the battery its a big interstate battery iirc its 650 cca ill dbl check next time i run outside though, the battery is getting weak though as i have notices some slow cranking at first on really cold days but it could have been just cause i had 20-40 oil in the car at the time , i did switchover to 5-30 once it started getting really cold though

Last edited by Project89; 01-03-2013 at 06:26 PM.