Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   tips for installing air gap intake (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/tips-installing-air-gap-intake-217557.html)

yardman 03-30-2012 03:22 PM

tips for installing air gap intake

hi need some advice with installing the air gap from elderblock #7516 i bought the fel pro gasket but its not perfect lineup. and i have to use ATV on the ends of the block.i can tell i will have a leak for sure. is there any advice or a better gasket. maby the elderblock not fel pro...........383 chevy stroker

DoubleVision 03-30-2012 04:24 PM

I think you mean E d e l brock. Go to the parts store and get the cheapy Mr. Gasket intake jobs that are hanging on the shelf.

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 03-30-2012 06:39 PM

And don't plan on using the car on days colder than 45 degrees..

yardman 03-30-2012 06:42 PM

why is that

unix 03-30-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yardman
hi need some advice with installing the air gap from elderblock #7516 i bought the fel pro gasket but its not perfect lineup. and i have to use ATV on the ends of the block.i can tell i will have a leak for sure. is there any advice or a better gasket. maby the elderblock not fel pro...........383 chevy stroker

The manifold says in the instructions to use their gasket set, think I'd do that. I try and stay with matching the hardware and the install items, seems like a logical choice, mix and match is possible. Then the question becomes how many times do you wish to do the same install? You already have one under your belt and the post sounds like it is not working out as you thought. So with that in mind why play around RTP "Read The Poop" and follow the poops instructions, remember they are the R&D of that product.

yardman 03-31-2012 07:03 AM

well i think that is what i will do. i thought fel pro would be better..as they are on some application's. but with the advise from someone here i went with the fel pro. i will order today elder block and the stuff that helps stick them in place. thanks

delawarebill 03-31-2012 08:29 AM

gasket ??

when u say "ends of the block" ???? are u talking about the front and rear areas that use the smaller rubber gaskets???? if so i think most will advise u use "RTV" instead of the gaskets.. put a good bead and put intake on while its still wet. I use the hi temp RTV with no problems...

yardman 03-31-2012 08:34 AM

yes i know to use atv on the ends do you put any around water ports or not. thanks

delawarebill 03-31-2012 08:42 AM

RTV on gasket

u can use rtv on the water jacket areas.. but keep it real thin. its generally not used in that area, but if u keep it to a min u should have no problems..

DoubleVision 03-31-2012 10:57 AM

Why pay edelbrocks price when the gaskets I suggested will work and be cheaper?

matts37chev 03-31-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

how about a pic of this mis-alignment ?
lets see how bad it is

Richiehd 03-31-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

why is that

That Air Gap has no crossover for heating the carb. You up north guys will have to drive all day to get the cold stumble out of that motor.

75gmck25 04-01-2012 08:55 AM

Edelbrock recommends their gaskets or an equivalent Fel-Pro, and I've used both without any problem. The key is that these recommended gaskets are soft enough to seal the aluminum manifold to the iron heads. Some gaskets are too inflexible and they will not provide a good seal.

The use of RTV instead of rubber seals on the ends is recommended by just about all the manifold manufacturers. You are just trying to keep the oil from leaking, and there is no real pressure to seal against.

Also make sure you use RTV to seal the inner bolts on the manifold. The threaded holes go through and into the lifter gallery and oil will wick up the bolts and onto the manifold if the threads don't have RTV. It does not hurt anything, but you will have little trails of oil on your brand new manifold.

Bruce