Tips, Opinions on Holley 6210 Spreadbore? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tips, Opinions on Holley 6210 Spreadbore?

I picked up a used Holley 6210 the other week and I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and tuning it in the spring. It lists as a Q-jet replacement, emissions legal for '65-'69 but has mech secondaries. I also have a 4777 on the shelf, along with a Q-jet and a T-Quad to play with but this spreadbore Holley really intrigues me, I think it is just the ticket for my combo.

I figure I will have to play with jetting, primary squirter and power valve, all are currently just as the Holley numerical listings showed as out of the box; jetted 60/83, squirters 25/37 thou, oddball 8.5" pwr valve.

Any tips or opinions on this unit? I haven't run it yet but it appears to be an under-rated street / strip carb. It's going on a 10:1 355 SBC w/Performer RPM heads, Comp 268 cam, 5-spd and 3.73s. Intake is a Performer, I also have a Performer RPM Q-Jet intake on the shelf but I can't confirm hood clearance...

All opinions welcome!

Perhaps a wideband O2 unit would be a good first purchase...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydawg View Post
I picked up a used Holley 6210 the other week and I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and tuning it in the spring. It lists as a Q-jet replacement, emissions legal for '65-'69 but has mech secondaries. I also have a 4777 on the shelf, along with a Q-jet and a T-Quad to play with but this spreadbore Holley really intrigues me, I think it is just the ticket for my combo.

I figure I will have to play with jetting, primary squirter and power valve, all are currently just as the Holley numerical listings showed as out of the box; jetted 60/83, squirters 25/37 thou, oddball 8.5" pwr valve.

Any tips or opinions on this unit? I haven't run it yet but it appears to be an under-rated street / strip carb. It's going on a 10:1 355 SBC w/Performer RPM heads, Comp 268 cam, 5-spd and 3.73s. Intake is a Performer, I also have a Performer RPM Q-Jet intake on the shelf but I can't confirm hood clearance...

All opinions welcome!

Perhaps a wideband O2 unit would be a good first purchase...
I have installed many of these over the years; they have the convenience and power of a Holley without the good gas mileage of a Q-Jet. I suspect these were originally something of a stop-gap to cover the old leaky Rochester before GM took action beyond telling the dealers to say to customers "they all like that" as if that solves the problem and for those people who are simply befuddled by trying to tune the Q-Jet and decide to switch carbs. I say that because this is good Holley by itself but doesn't seem to gain the mileage improvements of the small primary venturies in ratio to the large secondary’s similar to the Q-Jet. This observation holds for vacuum or mechanically actuated secondaries on the Holley. Makes great power like all other Holley's and burns gas like 'em too.

Bogie
Old 09-20-2013, 10:37 PM

Not a bad carb. A little easier to drive than a 4150 of the same size. Slightly better milage than the 4150 but still lacks the milage potential as stated above. I put a Dial-a-mile kit on one once. This kit, if still available, basically turns the primary side into a manually controlled feedback carb. It was good for another mile a gallon on a 15 mpg vehicle. This carb biggest selling point was it was a holley mech sec that directly bolted to a stock manifold,an entry level bolt on.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:42 AM

obsolete by todays standards. we used them in the 70s on near stock 327s
you need a 750 for your car
Old 09-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
you need a 750 for your car
Yes, I think I could justify a 750 on the car, running a two-plane intake and all.

One thing that struck me while I had opened up the carb to look things over was the 'Made in Japan' cast into the body and bowls. Appears to be made about 1980, 1981. Never seen that before.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.