Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tips for shop layouts and tool purchases.
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

this is definitely timely. we just closed on a house yesterday, and i now have MY first garage. 19 by 26. until now I've always used my fathers, a local repair place after hours, or the driveway. already have a ton of my own tools, as well as a fairly well stocked tool chest, but you showed me some places where my stuff is lacking.

however, there is a couple of things that i have found that make life much more fun and easy if your budget allows.
1. plan for more outlets than you think you can possibly need. tripping over extension cords is evil.
2. if possible, run air line to a few different outlets on different walls of the shop, and use hose reels. makes it easier and more convenient to use air, as well as cleaning up the hoses.
3. an overhead electrical cord reel is a godsend.
4. a sink in the shop is a wonderful thing. one of the big plastic laundry sinks from Lowe's is my favorite (gotta get one tomorrow while im there)
5. paint the walls a light color, like white. sure, hunter green and battleship gray look like good colors, but they do not reflect light very well. the better the walls reflect light, the more usable the overheads are. you'd be amazed....
6. u-coat it is some durable, nice stuff. i find things easier and the floor is easier to keep clean in my fathers shop after he put that stuff down.
7. plastic fishing lure boxes are great for organizing wiring connectors, small hardware, rivets, etc. im making a plywood shelf for the wall specifically for that.
8. the heavier duty the workbench and vice, the better. i cant tell you how many times I've picked up a workbench or sprung a vice yanking on something.
9. keep the stuff that you use the most often easily accessible, and the spares/random/rare stuff out of the way.
10. stereo. need a stereo.

these are in absolutely no particular order. just how my mind is firing after painting all day.

hope this adds well. and i may have to print this out to remind myself of these things when i figure out what box my printer is in.

Michael