Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tips for shop layouts and tool purchases.
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 10:14 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
[...] a fire extinguisher [...]
Thanks, I knew I forgot something. Got one in the kitchen; none in the garage. D'oh!

Tip -- In lieu of a fire extinguisher, have the following quick to grab: Hose and hydrant, bucket of sand, large box of baking soda (also handy for stings and diluted acid spills). Those won't cover all types of fires you might see in a garage, but they'll cover the majority. Fire has to have heat, fuel and air. Cut off 1 or more of those and it dies.

If you cut or weld, keep a fat aloe vera plant around, too. They've saved me a lot of blisters and pain.

I just bought a "Victor Advantage II" torch kit to replace an old larger one from Harbor Freight. The acetylene regulator ceased doing its job one day and sent 250 psi to the hose. After disassembling the regulator, I found nothing wrong and nothing to fix. It's probably about 15 years old, but it scared me. What if it had been the oxygen regulator suddenly sending full cylinder pressure to the hose? I don't have a clue about whether this new kit is a good value, but the name seems to have a good rep and the construction seems solid.