Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tire Black
Thread: Tire Black
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 02:34 PM

Last journal entry: Fan Update
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tire Black

I've seen a few threads about how to get a wide white-wall from a thin white-wall tire (grind off the black rubber or paint it with Rustoleum), but I want to go the other way, i.e. from a white-wall to a black wall tire.

I remember using a product called "Tire Black", and checked at the local auto parts stores and few have heard of it and no one knows how to get it.

On a whim, I stopped at the local Firestone store and _they_ have it as Tire Black, JDA#07001835, P/N 48-11-778-3. But they don't sell it at retail; it's for their own use. The manager was kind enough to give me a can gratis.

The manufacturer appears to be Firestone itself (BFS Retail & Commercial Operations, LLC) and is marked FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY / NOT INTENDED FOR RETAIL SALE.

It's essentially carbon black and talc with ethyl acetate to dissolve the pigments, acetone and toluene as additional solvents and propane and butane for propellants.

Decades ago, I purchased it in pint cans made by DuPont rather than spray cans. Here's a link to a picture: http://tinyurl.com/68p847

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the Meguirs/ArmorAll-like stuff you use to shine up tires. Tire Black is paint for tires. I know Harley Davidson makes a Tire Black paint, but it's a metal paint from what I see, right? It's not a tire paint.

Does anybody know of a retail source for Tire Black?

Thanks,
Hoyt

Last edited by hduff; 08-02-2008 at 03:17 PM.